Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default NEXTORCH WL10 "Executor" Weapon Mounted Light (PIC HEAVY)

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but none the less would like to share my review on the NEXTORCH WL10 WML that I recently purchased. I had a look at various WML options available, including the offerings from Streamlight and Inforce, but could simply not justify the going rate for these, well at least not at this current place and time. I tried to do as much research as is possible, but the info available online is somewhat limited and not very conclusive, so hopefully this review will also aid fellow gun owners looking at the Nextorch...

Some specs on the light (copied from the manufacturer's website):

• BulbCree R5 LED
    • Lumen230Lumens
    • Runtime80 mins
    • BatteryOne CR123 battery
    • Distance130m
    • MaterialAerospace grade aluminum 6061-T6
    • FinishHard anodized finish
    • Length87 x 22 x 24mm
    • Weight74g/2.6oz(Battery excluded) & 90g including

I have not tested the runtime as yet, so take the manufacturers word on that one. The light runs off a single CR123 battery (one comes supplied with). It attaches to a picatinny rail and should fit most weapons. The bar that attaches to the weapon is lifted/lowered by turning a wheel and it secures very well, without any play noticeable. The switch is ambidextrous with momentary on by pressing it lightly and constant on by clicking it.

The manufacturer states that the light is designed for "Glock and most firearms" and subsequently it fits really well with the ambidextrous switch easily within reach for both trigger finger and support hand thumb on the Glock (more on this later). It has a security lock to prevent accidental/unintentional activation by turning the head slightly, although in my book the turn is a wee bit more than "slightly" and will mean having your hand in front of the weapon if not paying attention. It is also rated as being waterproof up to 1 meter. Some pics of the light:

1 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

2 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

3 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

4 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

5 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

6 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

7 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

The two firearms used in this review is my Walther PPQ and Glock 17 Gen3. As stated earlier the manufacturer says that the light was designed for the Glock and it does fit very well, with a positive grip/retention on the weapon without any play evident (did give it a couple of good tucks). The light slides completely over the rail, which also helps with the good retention and I personally think that it complements the Glock. The switch is within easy reach of both hands, without the need to change your grip in any way.

8 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

16 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

17 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

The same can unfortunately not be said for the Walther. The picatinny rail on the Walther has three notches and the light only fits in the front one, as the trigger guard prevents it from moving back any further. This causes one to stretch your fingers to get to the light and will probably have an adverse effect on a good grip, also the light sits very far forward and the entire rail does not slide over the weapon so the retention will most likely not be very good once shots are being fired. It also has a slight downward angle on the Walther and at further distances does not light up the area where you are aiming. I'm actually very disappointed in the fact that it does not fit properly on the Walther, as it is still my favourite EDC weapon between the two.

9 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

For comparison purposes I used my five year old LED Lenser M14, which is rated at 225 lumens and has served me well during this time, although it is not friendly on batteries. I do realise that these two torches do not fall in the same category, but at least it gave a point of reference. The downside of the M14 is the spread pattern, it has a focusable beam with either a wide flood and very poor distance or a focused spot that has excellent distance but virtually no spill. The WL10 has both a good spill and a decent spot at the same time, which already has me looking for a replacement for the M14.

The first pic shows the WL10 inside the house and it lights up the entire passage and the living room very well. The following two pics are of the M14 and as can be seen it is most certainly not bad, but does lack the overall spill of the WL10.

10 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

11 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

12 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

The next three pictures again show the WL10 first and then the M14 with the wide and focused beam in an outside environment. Again the difference between the two lights are very noticeable even though there is only a 5 lumens difference between them (I did put fresh batteries in both light before doing the test).

13 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

14 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

15 by *Pilgrim*, on Flickr

So in a nutshell, at a going price of between R500-R600 this light offers a lot of value, in a very user friendly package. I will gladly buy this light again and recommend it to anyone looking for a WML in a more affordable package.

I will be doing a follow up review on the light once I get a chance to go and shoot with it, as I am interested to see how it will perform. I want to see if this unit also goes on by "itself" as the one on the internet did, because I'm of the opinion that that was caused by either one of two things, or perhaps a combination of the two, but for now I'll reserve comment on that.

Well that is pretty much it for now, thank you for reading and please feel free to comment, criticize, ask questions, etc.

User

Default Re: NEXTORCH WL10 "Executor" Weapon Mounted Light (PIC HEAVY)

Awesome review!

You covered every aspect of the WML. I bought one of these as well. Shot about 150 rounds with the light and no issues at all.

Thank you again for this review.

User

Thanks P1LGR1M, great review. Most of my questions answered. Please keep us updated on your further findings.

Wow, great write up. Very good price!

(Ps, that's a good looking GLOCK) :)

User

Nice review Pilgrim, thanks. How many did you fire with the light on?

User

Thanks gents.

Have not shot with the light yet, still workers class until tomorrow. The plan is to go and test it this coming week if there are any open ranges.

I want to try and shoot at least 100 rounds to get a good indication of whether the light is up to scratch. Will be taking a box of Ranger T 127gr +P+ along as well.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

Knights is open till 12:00 on monday. Ill be there in the morning with some guys, pull in?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Knights is open till 12:00 on monday. Ill be there in the morning with some guys, pull in?
    Sounds good. What time you going?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Where can I buy one?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

User

I got mine from Hire Arms, but guess other shops will also have. I know that TacShac had the other model in stock, the TL10.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast