Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Feeding spot for Bushpig and warthog.

I went to my uncle's farm in the warmbath's area this weekend.It's a 70ha fenced farm.He doesn't keep any game except nyala's.He uses the farm as his get away and go's for walks on the farm on weekends.We started talking and he told me that he has a huge problem with bushpigs and warthogs.A bushpig attacked his dog a week ago on one of his walks.He sees kudu and impala quite often on the farm,so it must be game from the neighbouring farms.I told him a am waiting for my licence for my hunting rifle and he said well I must come
    and shoot the pigs on his farm when i get my gun i'll be doing him a big favor.
    So now my question is what will be the best way to approach the hunt.
    I want to start planning and feeding on the farm to get the pigs used to a certain spot so that I can start hunting as soon as I get my rifle.
    I will walk & stalk the warthog but need to know how to feed the bushpigs.

User

Default Re: Feeding spot for Bushpig and warthog.

Select an open spot, in between a bushy area.
    The Bushpig prefer the thick bush, but you will need them in the open to shoot.
    Put out all stomachs from hunts, rotting meat, roadkill etc in the one spot.
    They will soon keep coming there regularly.

Sit up at Full Moon and shoot them over moon light, or you can try a spotlight with red filter.

Oh....and sit upwind...
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Try and pick a spot that is in close proximity to some water, for the hogs are quite reliant on it. You can also make use of maize kernels as well as chopped sugar cane, the warthogs are especially fond of the sugar cane. Might just have a bit of hassle obtaining it in Warmbath area.
    Good luck and have fun. PS: Pack enough gun for the bush pigs, they are some of the toughest and most ferocious animals i have encountered. (sort of like miniature buffaloes)

try harmony chops its a horse feed and should be obtainable from most agri supply depots, buy the 50 kilo bag cos it goes down quickly, when you get it home pour about 10 kilos into a 44gal drum and mix with warm water until you get the consistency of stywe pap, leave the drum in a warm spot for a few days so that the mix can go a bit vrot, you dont want it to start growing mould though cos that quickly kills the smell so keep an eye on it while in the drum, keep adding a small amount of water every now and then depending on the heat cos you dont want the stuff to dry out completely. After three to four days depending on the heat it should start smelling a bit like vrot beer, that is when its at its best so try and have it in the bush a day befor that happens so that the pigs can find it. when you put your initial baits i recommend that you put out lots of small baits so as to find the pigs. once this is done you can focus on the spots where they have been eating the most, when setting a bait placement is critical if you stick a bait in the middle of nowhere the pigs may well come and eat it but will seldom feel comfortable and so not afford a decent shot, try and place a bait in or as close to a bush or some form of cover as possible as it will encourage the pigs to feel that much more comfortable obviously dont compromise your shooting lane, once you have the pigs eating pay attention to their patterns you may find that they only eat on nights when it is overcast or when the moon is waxing or waning, around here if there is even the slightest south wind blowing you may as well forget about shooting, but that you will only find out after observing for a week or so, what im saying is dont rush it, if they are there and feeding they will generally hang around if you provide a constant food source and there is nothing to disturb them,

Thanks for all the replies guys,much appreciated.

User

We used to sit up in a tree over a small dam/pond they used to come drink and play in the mud. Also had success with a cow carcass that was rotten(just by chance came accross it). However most of the pigs we shot were in wheat fields. We shot all of them on full moon nights, with no light, (any light would make them take off, and not be seen again)

User

Anyone ever shot a pig with a pistol? I know it probably not the smartest thing to do, but it could be a lot of fun.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Anyone ever shot a pig with a pistol? I know it probably not the smartest thing to do, but it could be a lot of fun.
    Two questions:

By "pistol" do you also mean revolver, or are you only talking SD-type pieces?

and

Why would it not be smart? (depends a bit on your answer to first question, I guess)
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Used a Mod 19 2.5" 357 mag revolver on a pig hunt using dogs in Knysna Forest.

A high head shot is required and it falls like a load of ****.

Dont recomend using the 2.5" an distances further than 10 meters and no dogs to distract the pig.

Remember the saying goes that if you cannot aford to hunt expensive dangerouse game, bush pig is the best alternative.

Good fun and an Adrenalin rush second to none.

User

Default re

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Two questions:

By "pistol" do you also mean revolver, or are you only talking SD-type pieces?

and

Why would it not be smart? (depends a bit on your answer to first question, I guess)
    you underestimate the toughness of the old bush pig or warthog, i have personally seen a female pig run over 400m with out any intestines, and when we got near to her she still had steam to come at us.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast