Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 testing

User

Default Re: .22 testing

Zillard at 25m my test results cant tell me very much,because most of the shots touch each other and the groups are very similar .However the remington sub sonics looks like they are little tighter groups than the rest.My scopes are blurry at the indoor range for some reason.ill do a proper test at mapstone this sunday.I had a lot of fun at the range with the misses as my spotter.

http://s975.photobucket.com/user/arn...?sort=3&page=1

User

Good evening Arno, we do a lot of 22lr shooting at our club. 25m is the distance that most ammo is fairly accurate at. Just do yourself a favor and try the same ammo at 50m. Your eyes will open immediately. Ammo you thought did excellent suddenly turns to piss poor....etc. I am talking from experience. I probably spend over R2000(different batches of and makes of ammo) to find 3 rounds that does excellent in my CZ455 Varmint rifle.

I stocked up[ on them and will never look back.

User

i will test all the ammo i have this sunday at 100m if all goes well.Which 3 brands worked for you?i have already noticed that the slower .22 ammo groups a little better

User

1.) SK STD PLUS(Lapua) STD velocity
    2.) Eley Sport STD Velocity(Green label on black plastic box)
    3.) Dynamit Nobel\RWS GECO STD velocity.

The Geco's are of a slighter higher velocity +- 1090=1100 fps vs the other two 1025-1030fps from my 20 Inch barrel.

No 1+2 have the ability to group half inch or less depending on the "pilot" No 3. slightly worse(15-20%) but at 30%+ lower cost.

User

All 3 above are also very clean burning. Remington and S&B ammo are ok for casual plinking(Damn dirty though and lots of unburned powder) or teaching someone to shoot, I use the better stuff for our little club comps.

User

If the wind is silly, then rather stick to 50m. 100m is far to run for a .22, wind will screw it around.

Subs will generally be a bit most accurate, because they don't have to pass back through the transonic region (which totally screws with the aerodynamics) as it slows down along the way.

:- P

User

Arno I hope to join you at Mapstone. Urabus is going too.
    Just need to talk with the wife.

User

Quote Originally Posted by arno65 View Post
    Zillard at 25m my test results cant tell me very much
    As others have said, test at 50m (leave your zero on 25m). When i did my testing, i had a target for 25m, and 1 for 50m. In hindsight, i could have drawn up a custom target to have both 25 and 50m on it, as the bullet drop from 25 to 50m is less than 25mm or so on average, and all would have fit on 1 page.

The Remington SS managed decent groups of 3 out of 5 shots, then 1 or 2 fliers that im not sure if it was wind, or if i might have pulled them off target. I will be doing my tests again soon, and see if i can get 1 or 2 more brands in to it. But the Remi SS will receive more attention than before from now on.

All in all, your 50m groups should open up marginally, but at that distance you will see what ammo groups better on average in your rifle.

User

That is very interesting Information that is going to save me alot of time.i will get a box of those eley sport since it is the only one of the 3 that kings stock.its a pity you pirate and zillard stay so far , else you could have taught us how to shoot on Sunday. Caverock looking forward to meet you guys

User

Hi Guys

I am still trying to find out the right recipe for my 10/22 (does anyone have a solid recipe perhaps)
    was given a box of good old swatklip and it workeld like a dream but only had 1 little box - now no more available :(

So bought some Remington sub-sonic's and what terrible results I achieved. Grouping at 50m was over 4 inches, SIEsssss.
    Still to test are Winchester's and Federal's, both non sub-sonic as that was the only other stuff available.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast