Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pigeon Hunt

User

Default Pigeon Hunt

Hi Guys... Any news on the pigeons in and around Gauteng yet? I do know that the farmers in Settlers area planted sunflowers late this year due to the rain coming late? Last year we had our first pigeon shoot on 19th January, not sure if we will be that lucky this year?

Any news wil be welcome!

Default Re: Pigeon Hunt

Enjoy, when you get started. I have had some brilliant pigeon shooting in the Cape, it really is challenging in these conditions and world class sport shooting.

User

Usually around Gauteng, the sunflowers start attracting pigeons around the middle of March and it gets busier towards middle of April when the seeds are harvested. Sometimes if the farmers planted late then we can still get some shoots right into May. I'm also hoping to get in a couple of shoots this year.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

My father-in-law is a brilliant organiser of this stuff. He drives around the farms out Randfontein side and just go and ask the farmers if we can shoot. We usually shoot at least five to ten times during the season as he organizes plenty.

I can keep you guys up to date of when something comes up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    My father-in-law is a brilliant organiser of this stuff. He drives around the farms out Randfontein side and just go and ask the farmers if we can shoot. We usually shoot at least five to ten times during the season as he organizes plenty. I can keep you guys up to date of when something comes up.
    that would be great I am really hoping to get my first pigeon shoot done this year.

Hi Overandunder,

Rockies and Red-eyes eat 12 months of the year, if you know where they are roosting and set your hide on their flight line you can shoot 12 months a year, I do.

Changing the subject a bit, what do you do with all of the birds you shoot? you can only eat so many without sprouting feathers yourself, there must be a market for them some where and ammo is getting dammed expensive, I have a brother in the UK who sells all of his bag to a local butcher, pays for his ammo and a new gun every couple of years. Any ideas?

User

Big John.... We believe in use what you shoot and do eat a lot of them. Look at some recipes on our website... http://www.jagters.co.za/index.php/haelgeweer/nuus/ at the bottom called "Geveerde Resepte". But as you say, you can only eat that much, we mostly give to the locals in the area, also a friend of mine is involved in the poor communities, he freezes all of our pigeons whole after the shoot, once frozen packs it in small shopping bags and take it to the poor communities. He is a hit when he arrives!
    I spoke to restaurants and they only take head-shots birds and with a shotgun there is always damage to the body with EVEN the possibility of the odd pellet. But there is a market, I did meet a student last year who shot rockies for the restaurant market and is making enough spending money to keep him at varsity. He uses a very fancy PCP pellet gun and scope set-up, only took head-shots and those he cleaned and sold to the restaurants at R50 per kg.

User

Also wanne know when there are sun flowers ready..I belong to SAhunters Centurion and we normall have at least 12 outings a year..

Thanks Overandunder, a very interesting site, much better than ours.
    We also give to the locals, when we spread the word that we need guys to pick-up we have a small crowd waiting for us, makes life a lot easier.
    Have you heard anything about Guineafowl being open all year for 2014?

User

Hey guys so the sunflower season is getting closer and I really want to get a pigeon shoot in this year. I will have time open on the last weekend in march. Anyone out there with a contact for me or Someone I can join That weekend for some pigeon shooting. I am in jhb and dont mind driving 1-2hours to a location.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast