Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK P2000

Default HK P2000

This tread is aimed at Ikor and Ikor alone. I thought I'd post it here instead of a PM, so that others can read it for interest sake. Lay off, you Glock monkeys!!!

Hi Ikor,

You mentioned earlier that you carry a HK P2000 with LEM trigger. I'd really like to get your opinion on this gun. How much does it differ from the USP Compact w.r.t. grip size, ergonomics, etc.

As you probably gathered by now, there is a bit of a love affair between me and my USPc. I have both the V1 and LEM trigger sets, with the LEM currently installed. Although not as crisp as the 3.5lb trigger on my G17, I find it a nice system. What's your comments?

PS. Do post some photos of that bad boy if possible.

Default Re: HK P2000

Hi, Count!

Yes I'm up at this time of the night / morning...(6 hours behind you guys here) Sigh

Nothing at all wrong with the USPc in my opinion, but prefer the P2000 mainly because the contours of the pistol seem to 'work' better for me with IWB carry, and because of the interchangable back straps, which allow it to be 'tailored' a bit better for individual shooters. It is really not much more than a 'refined' USPc anyhow.

I like the LEM trigger setup for several reasons, not the least of which is that it is an excellent one for gun handling under stress and because you simply 'point pistol, pull trigger' similar to the Glock. Same trigger pull for every shot, etc. Having carried 1911s for many years I don't have a problem with 'cocked and locked' but neither do I think it is any sort of 'magic' when it comes to a true 'combat' handgun trigger. After many years of shooting all types of handguns, most find they can shoot any trigger system pretty well with a little practice. If standing flat-footed on a 'square range' and putting holes in paper or plunking steel is the criteria, I will take my Wilson Master Combat 1911 with some medium power loads and its' 3lb trigger, but for everyday carry tha standard LEM works well for me.

I will say that the LEM seems to be sort of a 'love it or hate it' trigger and not for everyone, but you should see what an artist like Bruce Gray can do with one when he tunes it for a match trigger...very short reset and a break around 3lb or so...but not for serious use and definitely NOT cheap! You can, however, easily knock the standard 7.5lb pull down to around 4.5lb with a simple spring change using factory parts. Mine is standard but I may try the spring change to see if it works well for me.

I will never knock the Glocks...they are tough and reliable pistols...and I note that their parts and service in SA is well beyond most other makes of handgun. I own several, any one of which I would load and use for defense if needed...in fact, my G17 with attached SureFire X300 light and a magazine full of WW Ranger T's pulls 'nightstand duty' at my house every night.

I decided on the P2000 because I was looking for a specific 'combination' of things that I did not feel a Glock in stock form could deliver. One pistol that would work for A) me, B) a very petite female with small hands and not a lot of hand sength, and C) a 12 year old boy who is left handed. Now possibly a G19 with a 'grip reduction' might also do this, but the LEM has a bit of a safety factor over the Glock trigger (in my mind, at least) if the female is not going to do much shooting but may still need to use the pistol under stress, and the P2000 seems to do pretty well in out of the box form. I must admit, however, that I have not tried it out yet with the other two 'users' so there may be some small issues ti iron out after I do.

My camera is on the blink right now, and if it was not, it would look just like any other P2000 except I use the flat floorp-lates with mine when I carry. If you are a serious HK fan, you should go here and register...it is THE website for 'HKholics' from all over the worrld and has tons of great information as well.

http://www.hkpro.com/

Mike

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Ikor,

If you do not mind, can you please give a list of all the firearms that you own? I am just curious and would appreciate to see/read the extend of your collection.

Thanks for a great reply...at this hour!

I agree with basically all that you said w.r.t. LEM trigger system, especially the love or hate theory!! I love it though and the reason I carry it also has to do with the ease of operation under stress. It is also very usable. I managed to shoot an IDPA classifier in Expert time with my USPc with LEM. Not bad for a compact gun, I think.

There are several ways to smooth out the LEM trigger. I prefer the standard setup due to safety reasons and did not tinker with lighter springs etc. After a couple of thousand rounds, mine is pretty smooth right now.

Only thing I dislike (only a little bit) about the USPc (and I dont know if the P2000 is the same), is the HUGE slide release. I'm planning on getting a spare and milling it down, leaving only a small raised section, similar to a Glock slide release lever. What is your take on this?

As far as HKPro.com is concerned, I've been a member for years now. As I mentioned before, I'm a bit of an HK slut. Just a preferance, like Thorkind and ladies underwear. Each to his own.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    Ikor,

If you do not mind, can you please give a list of all the firearms that you own? I am just curious and would appreciate to see/read the extend of your collection.
    Hah! Well, as you know many of us are a bit 'close mouthed' as to exactly what we own or don't...walls have ears...loose lips sink ships and all that. I will say that prior to about 6 months ago my 'collection' was up to around 40 rifles, pistols and shotguns, but I have sold several off lately and intend to sell some more. I am a bit afraid to think about how many more have gone through my hands in decades past...especially if I think about where my finances would be if I had dumped all that money into, say, Dell or Microsoft stocks ;D

My plan is to get the 'herd' down to maybe 20 or so that I simply won't get rid of for various reasons so that I can store them more easily when I leave to come to SA. I have four grandsons and a grand daughter and eventually they may get most of them but I won't leave any to a kid I think will pawn it off for party money or to buy a set of golf clubs, etc. so I will have to monitor that situation as they get older.

Remember too, here in Florida if I want a gun (except for NFA stuff such as full auto, etc.) I just go and buy it...no license required so long as I have the money and a clean record. (we have an 'instant' background check system) Our CCW license is a true Concealed Carry of Weapons license and allows carry of things such as brass knucks, etc should you be dumb enough to want them (very hard to justify why you beat someone to death rather than shot them) and a license is good for any gun you wish to conceal...or more than one at the same time if you want. I have one but am also allowed nationwide carry under Federal Law as a retired LEO (with a few restrictions).
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Count;

The slide catches on the P2000 are much thinner than on the USPc and HK actually sells an even thinner version in Europe I have been told. The one on the right side of the gun will rattle a little due to the way it attaches but no big deal. If it is in a holster it is quiet and if I need the gun, the last thing on my mind will be a tiny rattle from a slide catch.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Ikor,

Thanks for the reply and I understand your point. I just picked up that you have a bit of a 'collection' and was curious but respect your silence on the matter.

Hi Guys,

A.Rosenthal's have a P2000 & a P2000k in stock and I've handled them both (not shot), they are very nice guns! My only complaint would be for the P2000k magazine floor plate. I think that H&K could've curved the finger rest down but that's my opinion.

As I've said to Ikor before (PM) I think that the P30 is the dogs danglies & if cash etc... was no option that would be coming home with me immediately!

im with you count, i have a USPc and am seriously thinking of milling away a few of those little steps to make the slide stop alot more trimmer in profile, it was the first thing that i gave due consideration to when first looking at the gun. With a bit of luck i should be getting a full size, USP, which wil get the same treatment to the slide stop as well :)

Geoff...

the P2000SK, what firing mechanism is it, i did read an article on the P2000SK before it was even in the country and before i knew that Hk were launching a Sub-Compact in the P2000 range.

The rail acc. for lights and such was typical of the HK USP type and the trigger guard was like the full size USP, at an angle. Then i saw that the P2000SK's that landed here had the Glock type rail, as we know it and the trigger guard was squared off like the USPc trigger guard, tell me Geoff, which varient was the P2000SK in terms of accessory rail and trigger guard and what trigger mech. is employed in the one that you saw.

Personally i was going to buy one, witht he slanted trigger guard and typical USP rail in like a variant 1, but the hammer drop was located above the backstrap on the rear face of the farme just blow the back of the slide, why they did this is beyond me, can anyone emlighten me, and Goeoff, id like to hear from you as to what exactly the SK was there? and what was the price ofr the SK, for cash?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast