Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Bush pigs had a bad festive season

Attachment 13412Attachment 13411I have a huge problem with bush pig on my farm, the damage these hogs do is unbelievable and I had to do something about it. I decided to buy a rifle and chose a Sako 85 Bavarian .308 as I believe it's a good all rounder (limited knowledge, it's my first rifle). I've really put my .308 to work since I got it in December and shot five bush pig and a warthog so far. The braai wors, cabanossi and salami is the best ever!

User

Default Re: Bush pigs had a bad festive season

Jislaaik! You need a hand to eliminate more bushpigs, let me know

User

rboshoff, let me know when you're around the Kzn South Coast and we can make a plan, I'm tired of skinning bush pig!

User

Will do!

Wartog to me is kak. Bush pig on the other hand is heaven. These bad boys taste fantastic.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

Well done. They're quite destructive little creatures. I agree with the meat. Next to Fallowdeer, they're my favourite. Nice rifle by the way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark Kzn View Post
    Attachment 13412Attachment 13411I have a huge problem with bush pig on my farm, the damage these hogs do is unbelievable and I had to do something about it. I decided to buy a rifle and chose a Sako 85 Bavarian .308 as I believe it's a good all rounder (limited knowledge, it's my first rifle). I've really put my .308 to work since I got it in December and shot five bush pig and a warthog so far. The braai wors, cabanossi and salami is the best ever!
    Well done! I Understand bushpig is also extremely difficult to "get in one's scope". Vary wary and alert.
    Care to share your techniques? I've also got a bushpig problem. Not so much destructive to grazing/feed, but they kill and devour our new born/day old lambs. :/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

User

Hi swakop_toe, I'm fortunate (?) enough to have them feeding on my Macadamia nuts near my house, when I'm on my balcony at night I can hear them breaking nuts, so I ran a cable from my house to the Macadamia orchard, about 75m away, and installed a red light (on a dimmer switch), a cctv camera and a mms trail camera. I mixed mealies and harmony chop with hot water, yeast and brown sugar and put it out the next night.
    I lie in bed and watch the feeding spot on my cctv screen, or sleep and wait for my phone to wake me when the mms comes through, walk out on the balcony, switch the red light on and shoot my pig. If I shoot one, the others usually come back to the bait after an hour, so it's possible to shoot two on the same night.

Clever set-up BK - I like the way you are using tech to help you.

User

howsit "bosvark kzn!" well done! i hunt bush pigs in KZN too, up in the Howick area. what crops do you have? maize/sugar cane?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast