Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post The effectiveness of security lights?

How effective are security lights? Do they really repel possible intruders? Wouldn't motion sensors be better than a constant stream of light? Don't we want to make it hard for a burglar to get around rather than light the way for them?

User

The light is for you to see what goes bump in the night.
    If it's light the BG can't use the darkness.
    It takes the element of surprise from the BGs.

Also means you can line up your sights perfectly with the light shining down on the asshole!

User

Default Re: The effectiveness of security lights?

Try to approach your house with no outside lights, inside lights off, and someone trying to spot you from inside.
    Try to approach your house from different angles with the outside lights on, inside lights off, and someone trying to spot you from inside.

The above will reveal the answer to you question, as well as indicate where you need to change light angles or put up more lights, and where your weak spots are.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

We pair motion detector lights with PIR's. The motion detector light sensor is placed right next to the PIR so both activate at the same time.

This gives me a visual of the problem area(s). Also the motion detectors are set to maximum duration so the stay on for ~ 11-12 minutes. I have one that is 6 mins that I'd like to change out but cant find the older type.

I feel that the shorter duration gives a clear indication that it's a motion detector. The longer duration also gives me time to respond without lights or needing to control them going on / off. One less thing to worry about when it's 2 AM and you are derick. (deri-kak)

I can't handle sleeping with with lights shining everywhere. I can't sleep well with light. I don't see why one should have to live in daylight during the day and during the night. It's crazy to me. Don't get me wrong, security is very important. But when do we start becoming obsessive?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johny Bravo View Post
    I can't handle sleeping with with lights shining everywhere. I can't sleep well with light. I don't see why one should have to live in daylight during the day and during the night. It's crazy to me. Don't get me wrong, security is very important. But when do we start becoming obsessive?
    Block out lining available at Volpes. When I purchased my current property, I swore not to bar it up, I have witnessed two house fires where people could not get out of their houses woke up to far in(smoke) to unlock trelli's. I have an 8ft wall surrounding my property with a fence that bites, paired with perimeter beams all around the house. We put 2x30watt Led spot on each side of the house with cameras covering all angles. If you drive down our road. I can assure you, the low lit houses with low or no walls make for more attractive targets.

I have done my own research from CPF crime reports. Driving past the houses that have been broken into at night and robbed/held up. And it is quite shocking to see that almost 85% of these houses are pitch dark at night. As for the remainder, I have a sneaking suspicion of inside jobs. and not your average run of the crop opportunist house burglars targeting the remaining 15%. So in my humbled opinion, I think it does help.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johny Bravo View Post
    That's the strange thing about human behavior... now it seems obsessive. After seeing your wife gang raped and your 2 year old son stuck in the oven, it seems perfectly logical.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!

My stomach is turning WR. Sorry to hear. On the topic, yes I believe it helps. I have 3 lights around my house. 2 L.E.D floodlights and a normal one in the front. Smoke detectors cost R50 for the cheaper one and about R150 for the smart ones. That's out of my limited experience with them here on the Platteland. I taught my little Jack/Worsie crossing to bark when the alarm is sounded, just in case we don't hear it from a different room. This is not advice it's just what I have so far, except for he normal goodies we all should have in SA.

User

KZ, that hasn't happened to me yet, but thanks for the concern. My point is that the majority of people only undergo that mind shift AFTER something like that has happened. I prefer to imagine how it must feel BEFORE it happens, and have my mindset change in time to try and prevent it. The reactiveness of us humans irritate the crap out of me.

It's only AFTER a bomb explodes on an aircraft that they tighten up security measures. It's only AFTER someone loses a loved-one to cancer that they suddenly develop a strong drive to start some kind of cancer awareness campaign. Etc. People need to be touched by something before it becomes a concern to them. It doesn't have to be like this though.

Amen ! Wise words for today !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast