Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sig 556

Default Sig 556

For all the rifle guys, any of you ever seen/handled/shot one of these? Ikor, I guess you'd have the most experience due to availability in the States?

I've read quite a bit about it. Reports are a bit mixed with some liking it and others not. Overall it appears to be a decent rifle. What's your opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Sig 556

Rescomp has a 552 and may have other models.

Horrendously expensive at around R34k for the 552 if I remember correctly. (Also known as Swiss Arms?)

Holy crap! That's a massive price tag. confused0068 Nice rifle though.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Sure is one purdy AK.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Very nice but for the money I would rather buy two dashprods and spend the rest on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Sure is one purdy AK.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure it'll be more refined, most probably more accurate, but essentially AK design. But then again, so is many others to great success. Nothing wrong with the system.

They seem to be going for about $1500 in the states. I'm surprized at the estimated local price, or am I missing something?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Sure is one purdy AK.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure it'll be more refined, most probably more accurate, but essentially AK design. But then again, so is many others to great success. Nothing wrong with the system.

They seem to be going for about $1500 in the states. I'm surprized at the estimated local price, or am I missing something?
    I think that there are design and pricing differences between the 552 and the 556.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Sure is one purdy AK.

I think that there are design and pricing differences between the 552 and the 556.
    There are definitely some design differences between the 556 and the 552, but as I understand it mostly with the stock and sights and the ability to use AR magazines, which the 552 cannot do. I am not all that impressed with any piston driven 5.56 caliber rifle / carbine to tell you the truth, as the AR direct impingement design has proven itself very well over several decades now and is both lighter and less expensive. Having said that, however, I think the best design going at the moment is the Robinson Arms XCR. About the same price as the Sig 556 here but able to change calibers if desired.

THe AR15 / M16 will not take the abuse the Galil / R4 rifles will but I prefer it, having used it for much of my life. The design is modular, simple and reliable if you keep the weapon relatively clean and feed it good ammo. New extractors and springs have all but eliminated the issue of extractor problems and the 5.56 caliber is working very well in action despite what some may try and tell you. The biggest weak point of the AR system is the magazines and while HK has come out with the best one ever designed they are very expensive.

The 'real' Sig 552 mags work and work very well, but while I love the guns they are nowhere near as modular as the ARs. I would buy a 5.52 in a heartbeat but have little interest in the 556, but that is just me. They (556) actually sell here for around $1300 or so now that the new has worn off.

The Dashprod is a very nice little package but for general use I would prefer a longer barrel, maybe around 14 inches and some rails to mount a few accessories on. With those and some 70gr OTM (Open Tip Match) Hornady 5.56 pressure rounds the little rifle wiuld be formidable indeed in 5.56...as it is the 8 or so inch barrel limits it for all around use...still, I would love to have one and I sure as Hell wouldn't stand in front of it and let you pull the trigger! ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

I shot one yesterday........(pause here a moment to give me time to wipe off drool)......nice.....very nice.......very very nice.......  I'll leave all the tech stuff to Ikor and just say nice...very nice.....very very nice....

One I shot had an Aimpoint on it.  Very pointable, very nice recoil - straight back into the shoulder with minimal lift resulting in very quick shot recovery fighting0035.  If I was in the states with their prices and licencing...or lack thereoff compared to us....I would have driven directly from the range to the nearest supplier for no other reason than I want one and can get one! :), but I'm not- damn

User

The quality of an AR does not compare to a SIG 551/552/553. Sorry, it will just never come close. They may not be as ergonomic as an AR, but a finer rifle you will not find. Quality is second to none - you get what you pay for.

[Edited to add] The SIG 556 is not there in terms of quality of the original Swiss rifles. They have improved significantly since their introduction however.

The best AR rifles out there right now that are direct-impingement are the Colt and Noveske rifles, Larue and LMT are going to be doing well too.

The best pistons on the market in an AR variant are the HK416/417, LWRC M6-series and the pending SABR (they have just received a contract for these with Pentagon Force Protection along with the M6A2-series). LMT has a new piston rifle on the market too, so far it is looking good. The Barrett REC7 looks good overall, but I don't like A.R.M.S. products, so the fore-end rail is not appealing. Bushmasters are not worth considering IMO.

Good piston retrofits are on the market for DI AR rifles, and these are bound to only get better.

Lastly, the HK magazines actually suck @ss. Approximately 800-rounds through any given magazine and the springs weaken and fail to lock the bolt back. The best AR magazines on the market are P-Mags. Pat Rogers has nothing but good things to say about them, and that is good enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast