Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: .458 Mannlicher-schoenauer (1956) at home

Quote Originally Posted by juan smith View Post
    Any idea where I could get a bolt for that rifle?
    Contact Gert Odendaal. LoL

User

Quote Originally Posted by juan smith View Post
    Any idea where I could get a bolt for that rifle?
    Hallo Juan, at this stage I am not able to refer you to any one since this calibre is absolute new to me. I definitely can assist with any Mauser bolt, since in Johan Greyling`s rifle shop a few of them are available. If I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me at. godendaal@hotmail.com. I am still busy reading up on the .458 Mannlicher Shoenauer and got the following facts:

The .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer was build from 1958 to 1960.

This calibre is on the "rare" list of calibres.

Terry Irwin used this calibre to shoot /cull dangerous game in the Selous reseve in Tanzania I think he mentioned a total of more than a 1000x elephants with this calibre rifle made custom fit for his dimensions.

Richard Harland use this calibre to cull/hunt from dangerous game species to baboons.

The both preferred the rotary magazine since other dangerous game rifles tend to drop the rounds when the baseplate disengaged when the needs arose to shoot very fast when working the bolt franticly...

The incredible smooth action is another reason they decided to use this brand and calibre , it seems this calibre out penetrate the .375 H&H Magnum that time..

The Magnum magazine of March 2014 will have an article regarding the history of this great calibre....

I will keep a lookout for you if you can give me more info regarding the bolt you need for a similar rifle, I really would like o hear from you.

Regards

Gert Odendaal

Hi Gert

Beautiful rifle. You have very good taste.

Baie mooi geweer!

User

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Hi Gert

Beautiful rifle. You have very good taste.
    Dankie Johan, thank you kindly Nkosi, I really think it is a case of a lot of luck rather than good taste, I was very lucky to get this rifle from my professor...as you can see it is still in excellent condition and as a bonus it seems to be falling in the "rare" class. This is the first item I have ever possessed that causes a lot of people to call me and make me offers to purchase this rifle , so it must be a special item...

User

Updating this thread:

I contacted knowledgeable members on another forum regarding more info and history of the .458 Win Mag Mannlicher Schonauer I have in my possession..it seems according to these persons this specific rifle and caliber is designated as "rare" since there maybe about only one hundred ever build... a link to this discussion regarding the history of the .458Win Mag Mannlicher Schonauer...

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...0&fpart=1&vc=1

User

To the members who is interested in knowing /want to see more about the rotary magazine that makes the Mannlicher Schoenauer so different from a Mauser .... I did clean the magazine after the photos have been taken..this was the first time I open up the magazine since I bought it, I only shot it once...will shoot it more in the coming days ...

Banned

Gert, would you please add another photo of the magazine with a cartridge or two inserted - if possible? It is pretty clear how it works, but just for us to drool over?

User

Ds J With pleasure..I need to take the rifle apart and get dimensions since I need to substitute the original stock with a American classic stock that will fit my physique to shoot it with a ghost ring I am designing currently..the previous ghost ring I made is to cumbersome..I need to make a smaller lighter ghost ring that will assist my aging eyes...I will not fit a v-express sight and will remove the v-express sight...

User

I started reading "The Hunting Imperative" by Richard Harland again this weekend, and as you mentioned he used a rifle like yours with great success. have. You have a sweet rifle there, enjoy her. :-)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast