Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

Default Re: Dog Food

Royal Canin @ R500/15kg - I think.

RC does a GSD specific food as far as I can recall. They have additives to help with joint support and limit HD.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I have done quite a bit of research into dog food and calculated price per serving etc.

In most's opinion, the best dog food you can get in South Africa is Orijen. Depending on the type of food, expect to pay R1 200 for a 13kg bag. Acana is a cheaper option, made by the same company, at R800 per 13kg. This is stupid expensive. They have the best quality ingredients, but I don't even eat free range chicken, so don't see why my dogs should.

I might get flak for this, but buy the cheapest food that your dog is healthy on. Look for solid stool, glossy coat, good energy levels, no bad breath etc.

I've fed my dogs Earthborn, Pro Pac, Hills, Vet's Choice, Royal Canin and my dogs have not looked better than they do now on Afgri's Jock priced at +/- R280 per 20kg. I supplement their food with chicken livers and giblets 3-4 times a week.

I spoke to a GSD breeder a while back that swears by Mera Dog, German company, about R600 per 12kg if I recall correctly.

Up until 18 months buy the good expensive stuff, RC, Eukanuba, Hills, Pro Pac, Earthborn etc. Look for a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 1.5:1, to aid with good joint development, especially with breeds prone to HD and ED. After that you can buy cheaper food.

Interesting read
    http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_a.../thread/663911
    Last edited by FantomBadger; 10-02-2014 at 14:20. Reason: Added link.

User

Fantom I feed my boerboel Jock. As this came highly recommended from the breeder I bought him from.

My dog is happy with the food, nice and shiny coat etc, will try and remember to post a photo of him tomorrow.

User

We raw feed our dog as per breeder's instruction: Chicken necks, chicken liver, beef mince, etc. Sometimes off cuts of springbok. And there's always Royal Canin in a bowl for if he feels peckish. And full cream milk for a treat.

Ja, I might not win the "Diktril" swagging rights with a big dog, but when it comes to food bills (not to mention not having to pick up the turds with a shovel) a Yorkie is a clear winner.

User

Hills Science ... about R640 for 16kg. Lasts six weeks, so just more than R100 a week.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Hills Science ... about R640 for 16kg. Lasts six weeks, so just more than R100 a week.
    Do you feed your GSD the Large Breed?

User

Yes ... I don't like the dog to grow too quickly and the large breed is pretty specific about how much food it needs at what weight. He does not always agree.

My two Boerboels I had grew up on Vet's choice. After the 'problem' they experienced, I switched to Supreme Pet. It's a lot cheaper but still satisfies.

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post

I might get flak for this, but buy the cheapest food that your dog is healthy on. Look for solid stool, glossy coat, good energy levels, no bad breath etc.
    I'll back you up on that one. Off topic but relevant. Some people think their large breed dogs must be build like a Tank from a young age. Those dogs usually suffer with joint problems when they're older. 'From the mouth of a Vet'

User

I only buy Royal Canin and it is R365/7kg and is breed specific. My dogs are amazingly healthy and without any problems.

I've been inside the Royal Canin factory and their standards are better than you would find at most "human" food manufacturers plant (which I visit on a very often basis).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast