Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

User

Default Re: Dog Food

That is a bit pricy, pm me or what app me, I will put you on someone who is a lot cheaper for a quality raw feed. You actually buy them in portions an basically one portion constitutes a meal for the day. 0786108714.

Cheapest and most effective way to feed a dog is a raw meat based diet. One can get into the nuts and bolts of it, and overcomplicate things. But for working dogs it is effective. Most (average) commercial foods are not great if you need a bit more from your dog, and want to make sure it lives a long life. There are some good commercial foods out there. But there really is no right answer with foods - feed the dog in front of you. If it's not doing well, look a bit deeper and find something that suits you, your dog and your pocket. Raw, or a raw supplement, has always worked well for me.

User

I agree 100 percent on the above.

User

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ets-and-people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    What rubbish.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    What rubbish.
    Plenty info on the downside of feeding raw on the net, that coupled with the fact that there are no requirements to comply with any regulations when manufacturing raw feed in SA other than being registered as a animal feed manufacturer at the dept of agriculture in terms af an act written in 1947.

User

https://www.caninejournal.com/raw-diet-for-dogs/

Potential Risks Of Raw Diets
    While there are potential upsides and some veterinarians may recommend it, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is not on board with BARF. Citing a number of studies, the AVMA discourages feeding raw or undercooked animal proteins because they can contain potentially deadly pathogens that can sicken your pet and possibly be transmitted to humans. Yikes!

Other possible disadvantages include:

Bacteria in raw meat poses a threat to the dog’s and human’s health
    Giving whole bones to dogs presents a risk of choking, broken teeth or internal punctures (learn more about if dogs can eat bones)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    https://www.caninejournal.com/raw-diet-for-dogs/

Potential Risks Of Raw Diets
    While there are potential upsides and some veterinarians may recommend it, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is not on board with BARF. Citing a number of studies, the AVMA discourages feeding raw or undercooked animal proteins because they can contain potentially deadly pathogens that can sicken your pet and possibly be transmitted to humans. Yikes!

Other possible disadvantages include:

Bacteria in raw meat poses a threat to the dog’s and human’s health
    Giving whole bones to dogs presents a risk of choking, broken teeth or internal punctures (learn more about if dogs can eat bones)

Ok dude. Find something that works for you if it worries you. Like i said, there is no right answer. It works for my dogs and what I need from them. But you might look a little deeper into it if you want to form an opinion. A few knee jerk articles may be a start. Butbthecproof of the pudding is in the eating. For my dogs, over the years, a meat based, or meat supplemented, diet works. But I agree, it's not everyones cup of tea.

User

There are plenty butchers around if you not comfortable buying raw from a supplier. Remember year's Ago before the introduction of pebbles dogs across the world ate raw.No matter the brand and price you pay for a bag of dog food, the bottom line is that it's still processed and contains preservatives. So in my humble opinion raw is best. You can see the difference in a dog's confirmation as well as performance after a dog has been on a raw diet for a while. They are much leaner and more energetic. It is what it is, similar to humans ie natural versus processed foods.

User

My dog is lean and energetic enough. So were all the dogs that has been in my family over the last 35 years. If your dog becomes leaner and more energetic when fed raw, you were feeding it crap to begin with. Stay with the good stuff, then it doesn't matter if you feed them dry or raw.

At the R/$ exchange rate it is probably cheaper to feed raw than most imported dry foods, e.g. Eukanuba. The only other motivation to switch is if your dog cannot handle dry foods.

So, it all comes down to what floats your boat. I am a lazy git, so dry food it is.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast