Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default IPSC, giving it a try?

Hi, I just browsed through the rules, Browsed, not studied mind you

Quick question:

If wanted to try it out, how would it work?

With IDPA you would have to do an NSO and Classifier before being allowed to shoot and that would mean you HAVE to be affiliated first, ie: No participating visitors or first timers wanting to see what its all about. (which is a pity, but I understand the logic)

Would one be able to attend/participate in some form of IPSC shoot or two or three, to give it a bash, or would you be expected to commit and jump in the deep end, before knowing if its for you or not?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: IPSC, giving it a try?

Chat to the local IPSC club. The guys are usually very accommodating and are keen to help you out.

If you know someone who shoots IPSC already, best would be to accompany them and have them show you the ropes and possibly vouch for your safety with the club officials.

Enjoy!

User

My understanding is that SAPSA carries an indemnity insurance that is extended to all members. At our club you can't shoot unless you are a member of SAPSA, and have completed the clubs training course. Once you have been vetted you can start shooting. Not as formal as SADPA, but the process exists. When I joined, I started the training, and for the few weekends while doing this, walked and watched the competitions. That is where I learnt the most as the shooters explain the rules and you get to question. I feel you more or less know if you want to a shoot "combat" type sport or a more static sport. The one you choose is personal choice. Visit some clubs while leagues or competitions are in progress. That's where you'll get your answers.

User

It differs from club to club. I'm sure most clubs would welcome you as a visitor to a level 1 club shoot. That's how I started.

User

From experience with 2 clubs. No initial assessment is specifically needed. Pitch, and shoot. Preferably as a guest of an existing member. (The existing member is essentially 'vouching' for you.

Only 1 thing. If you are unsafe, and do something silly, you will get disqualified. That is where the 'stress' ends. Shooting as a 'guest' too frequently will eventually be frowned upon... joining at some point would be the right thing to do. (After which 'training' and assessments will be officially done - club dependant).

One of the clubs I shoot with is made up of predominantly IPSC Noobs... we have a shoot on 22 Feb, starting at 13H00 at SWAT.

If you would like to participate, pop me a PM, and I will provide more info.

Alternative, is to join me at my other club on 1 March.

Consider it an official invitation

User

I've been given a date: 22 February at SWAT there's a Club Shoot in IPSC. I'll be attending. Chat to Psychosis, he set me up with the info and told me apparently there's a lot of newbies.

I know with IDPA you're not allowed at all to shoot at their shoots unless you're a paid up, NSO's, classified, membered, etc. etc. guy. I've been invited (but sadly never took it up) to shoot at Premier as well (1911 on the forums invited me), all IPSC. I don't think you'll shoot at club or SAPSA level (no history is made of your shoot), but it's a good thing to pitch and see what it's about.

From reports IPSC seems to be a more "lively" sport with less stupid rules than IDPA. And that comes from someone who was hell-bent on joining IDPA shooting.

EDIT: And there Psychosis is. Stand-up guy!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    From reports IPSC seems to be a more "lively" sport with less stupid rules than IDPA. And that comes from someone who was hell-bent on joining IDPA shooting.
    You shoot neither IDPA nor IPSC and yet you raise an (unqualified, I might add) opinion about both?

User

Quote Originally Posted by bawrakza View Post
    You shoot neither IDPA nor IPSC and yet you raise an (unqualified, I might add) opinion about both?
    "from reports it seems " is not a fixed opinion...

Much like me saying that "from my research, it seems that the CZ75 Tactical Sport is a winning gun" ...

Don't take stuff so seriously.

From first hand experience, and from watchcing IDPA matches, I can tell you that IPSC is in fact more 'lively' ...

But shoot whichever you like, and be happy with it.

User

I'm neither in politics nor professional sport, but I can raise an opinion on it.

Also, I mentioned that it's from reports, and I never claimed facts. It just seems that IDPA's rules are more limiting, strict and yes, sometimes, stupid than IPSC's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    But shoot whichever you like, and be happy with it.
    Agree 100%. But when you shoot a sport that you are happy with don't bash the other one - especially when you have NO first hand experience.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast