Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Using pool filter to filter municiple water?

Hi guys, I know there are a lot of wise people on this forum and wonder if you have some valuable input!

Our municipal water is very dirty and keeps clogging my sediment filters I run it through. Now I was wondering could I connect a pool filter with pool sand inline before my sediment filter to try help remove some sediment and would this work?

i will still run my reverse osmosis system in the kitchen after this process.

Your input will be appreciated!

User

Default Re: Using pool filter to filter municiple water?

Are you drinking RO water? That's not good for you you know?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Are you drinking RO water? That's not good for you you know?
    Jeez, thanks for that, I didn't know. Google found this article http://www.waterfyi.com/featured/w-h...gonna-believe/

User

Here is a counter argument that says why RO water is not unhealthy. As the article says there are many other sources from which we can and do get our nutrients without relaying on water to fulfill this role. The main purpose of water is for hydration.

http://thewaterfilterladysblog.com/2...safe-to-drink/

User

Rather install a water softner or a charcoal filter on the main line. Just my 2c

User

Pool filter is not a good idea as they are breeding grounds for bacteria.

Do not drink RO water, there is a reason why RO systems use high grade stainless steel piping.

A water softener turns calcium carbonate into sodium carbonate, thus removing the 'Hardness' from the water, on municipal water it's not really required, also a possibly breeding ground for bacteria.

Best thing to do would be to run a 5 micron filter and then a charcoal (Activated carbon) filter, this will remove odour, taste and chlorine as well as sort out your sediment problem.
    If you can find an industrial filter supplier that has a retail counter, it shouldn't cost more than R500-R750 for the filters and housings.

User

Quote Originally Posted by marcvbsa View Post
    Pool filter is not a good idea as they are breeding grounds for bacteria.

Do not drink RO water, there is a reason why RO systems use high grade stainless steel piping.

A water softener turns calcium carbonate into sodium carbonate, thus removing the 'Hardness' from the water, on municipal water it's not really required, also a possibly breeding ground for bacteria.

Best thing to do would be to run a 5 micron filter and then a charcoal (Activated carbon) filter, this will remove odour, taste and chlorine as well as sort out your sediment problem.
    If you can find an industrial filter supplier that has a retail counter, it shouldn't cost more than R500-R750 for the filters and housings.
    Thanks for the correction.

As for the RO is bad for you claim, I would rather drink "unhealthy" RO water than stinking dirty muncipal water. And if RO was bad for you then our whole family should really be a bunch of very unhealthy people as we drink a lot of water and I have to say we are rather healthy

User

The reason RO Plants use high grade stainless piping is because RO water is not in it's natural state, water likes to have minerals in it, to get the minerals it lacks RO water leeches it from its surroundings, these would include your teeth and bones.
    This is a long term process, which you will only discover once the damage is already done.

if your muncipal water is bad, you don't need to spend thousands on a shop bought filtration system, or the over priced stuff advertised on tv, find an industrial supplier and you can get a decent filtration system for a reasonable price. (You shouldn't pay more than R30-50 for a filter cartridge and not more than abiut R200-250 for a carbon filter.

P.s there is a difference between a proper RO system that takes the conductivity of the water below 2 microsiemens and the so called domestic RO system that put out water with a 75 conductivity, anything above 50 should be fine to drink.

User

Thanks guys for all the input. Our water smells and is very dirty. Sometimes I've even wondered if there was not sewage in it. Our water pressure and supply is also not constant. When you shower the water smells like fish.

I'm now wanting to put the main municipal line through a pool filter into a Jo Jo tank. Then using a pressure pump send the water through a sediment filter and then a carbon filter. The drinking water goes through a RO system with a mineral filter?

User

Quote Originally Posted by nick85 View Post
    Thanks guys for all the input. Our water smells and is very dirty. Sometimes I've even wondered if there was not sewage in it. Our water pressure and supply is also not constant. When you shower the water smells like fish.

I'm now wanting to put the main municipal line through a pool filter into a Jo Jo tank. Then using a pressure pump send the water through a sediment filter and then a carbon filter. The drinking water goes through a RO system with a mineral filter?
    I would put sediment and carbon the filter ahead of the JO JO. This will minimise any sediment from the supply settling in your tank. JO JO tanks are a bitch to clean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast