Banned

Unhappy Mould on Musgrave!

Evening all,

I have inherited a Musgrave mod. 90 in 22-250 that has barely been fired, but after much time spent in the safe in a coastal town between my Grandfathers passing and my acquiring this rifle, a terrible mould/mildew has developed on the stock. Despite having wiped it down the growth has left dark "stains" in spots where it has taken.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to remove it? I have read about bleach, chlorine and soap water, but to be honest putting that on a once beautiful stock scares the heck out of me...

Any help / ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks

BM

User

Default Re: Mould on Musgrave!

Contact you smith and ask him to refurbish it, it won't cost much and it will be good for the next 100 years provided you care for and oil the stock regularly or as directed!

My last stock that I had refurbished was around R800, which included steaming out old dents, removing old oil and applying new oil. You could also do it yourself which in turn can be very rewarding but I don't really have the time at the moment!

Just a thought..... But your case must not be seen as an issue, it can be easily corrected. If you don't come right, send me a pm and I might be able to help you.

Banned

Default Re: Mould on Musgrave!

thank you for the response dsmerrills!

I think I will have to take it to a gunsmith in time anyway to remove a pesky bolt and do one or two other things, so I may as well go that route with the stock as well. I am familiar with woodwork and the like, and I have thought about staining it a shade or two darker to hide the spots. I am worried that the spot marks are deeper into the grain than they may appear, and that sanding may not cure it.

Thanks again for your response, next step is to find a decent gunsmith in my area.