Default Lightening cuts on slide

I have a 45 built on a Para frame. The frame has been extended into a "full length dustcover" by using a very heavy length of steel(about 500 grams) The barrel has been changed to a "Cone lock-up"system partly to add weight to the front but also to get the lock-up 100% right. The slide is an old Ithaca slide that has been Nickel plated. I have two tuned mags that takes 17 and still fit the box. The other 2 are 14 and 16 rounders. Normally the gun runs 100% reliable and now I am ready to try and get some further advantages from the system. Obviously it would be better to just get a 40 but with the current licensing mess that is not an option.

My idea is to lighten the slide as much as I can and then go for a 14 pound recoil spring. I see that most of the "Super squad" has gone this route with their 40`s and is wondering if it would work with a 45 as well.

If it is indeed viable where is the best place to start and where can I take away weight without running the risk of a slide cracking? How much should I remove?

BulM5rocks

Default Re: Lightening cuts on slide

Johann, the guys with 40s lighten the slide to make transitions quicker. Recoil isn't so heavy with the 40. Do yourself a favour and get a bunch of wolff recoil springs - start with about a 12 and work your way up till you find the "feel" you like and one that feeds reliably. I'm running a 14lbs and it's great. the pistol doesn't nose dive down every time the slide goes forward and it actually feels like it recoils less.

I think that lightening the slide on a 45 will significantly INCREASE recoil. If you've staunch arms and recoil isn't a problem you might gain an advantage with target transitions. Problem is - once you've made the cuts you can't go back !!

BTW: I don't think you'll be bale to compete with the slide cuts in the CDP division of IDPA !!