Thread: .223 ammo

User

Default .223 ammo

Hi all

Not sure if I must post this here or reloading so here goes.

Is there anyone here that reloads 223 ammo for use in semi auto rifles? Have you costed your reloads ? What does it work out to?

Is there any other reasonable alternative to reloaded ammo from NGA and Nobleteq?

Regards

Danie

User

Default Re: .223 ammo

Below is a extract from one of my earlier posts.
    I were able to get some Barnes 53gr TSX bullets, they are extremely expensive R545.00 per 50 bullets or R10.90 per bullet, add a new Winchester case, some powder and a primer and you are looking at +/- R19 per rnd (3x the price of FMJ rnd). 30rnds per mag =R570.00 a mag. Not your average range ammo!

So, depending on what type of bullet you use reloading can be even more expensive than factory ammo. Also keep in mind that if shooting your reloads out of the LM series of rifles the cases are going to get a nasty ding when ejected. Sure the dent gets partially removed when resizing and gets totally removed on firing but remember that the area where the dent use to be is now weakened, if you use the same case a few more times, I can sure ass hell guarantee that you will get a separated case stuck in the chamber.
    Best bet IMHO if you don't want to shoot Nobleteq or NGA ammo is to try and obtain some military surplus ammo, try Camdix or Blunderbuss they sometimes have some good deals on milsurp ammo.