User

Default What would you guys use.

I have a bit of a problem with bushpig, I often find then in open areas where maize has been harvested to thickets where we shoot them over bait. So I need to be able to shoot them at both distance and short range. I can dedicate a 9.3x62 just for this.

So, I need a decent night vision scope. On here I have seen and used the spark core and it is impressive and I have been told that I can mount it behind a scope. Also I have seen the Nite site NS 200. It looks impressive but have not seen it work.

What do you guys use and what are you happy with? I don't want to make a mistake in buying the wrong equipment.

Having said that I'm also on a bit of a budget so Gen3 is not for me, suppose Gen2 too for that matter.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

User

Default Re: What would you guys use.

All options will involve some compromise.

My personal setup is a 308W loaded with 130gn GS Custom HV bullets at 3000 fps. Barnes TSX 130 also work, but cost more.

Previously, I used my 375H&H rifle, as it proved a good stopper, even with marginal shots. When I was given the (no name) night sight. (Yes, I am very lucky.) I found that it had too little eye relief to be usable on the 375 (recoil). So I changed to the 308, with the above load. It works very well, with 100% one shot stops so far. Shooting distances vary from 5 to 200m. At both extremes it is quite difficult to identify the target and vitals. Around 50m it works much better.

And 50m is not unreasonable in open fields. You can approach feeding bushpigs to within 50m, if you do your part.

So, you must decide if your potential purchase will stand the recoil of a 9,3. Then see if you will be able to shoot it, without embedding the ocular lens in your own eye socket.

In my experience, it is important not to have any light reflect off your face, back to the pigs. They are not blind or stupid. Choose the sight accordingly.

The 9,3 seems almost the perfect calibre for bushpig at close range, along with the 45-70. But the sighting arrangement might limit you to a smaller calibre.

User

Thanks for your input. I have a 45-70 lever action too but like to use it with the red dot sight as is where we can shoot over bait and where light is an option. I suppose then I could use my 7x64 or 8x56? Just the 9.3 is such a nice caliber. I hear what you say about the light on my face if I were to use the Nitesite, I believe the do have a screen filter that limits the glare back.

This might be a stupid question but could I not use NV goggles and use the 45-70 with red dot or maybe mount a IR laser on the 45-70 and use that with goggles?

User

NV goggles and a laser on the rifle work very well. I have used just such a setup for a while, on a 303. Just ensure that the laser does not blind you, when viewed through the goggles. A dedicated IR laser might be a good idea, but they are not very available. A normal visible red laser, with slightly flat batteries works great. You zero it with normal batteries, in daylight, then change the batteries to lower the output for use with NV. Alternatively, you could limit the output intensity by affixing a sticker with a small pin-hole over the lens.

This type of shooting takes some getting used to. All maksmanship princiles still apply, but you easily forget that when you can aim from the hip. So, practice first, before venturing out into bushpig territory.

The beauty of such a laser setup, is that you can zero and practice without actual live fire. Laser is adjusted to coincide with your normal sights, then practise dry-fire.

User

That is interesting. What goggles would you recommend. I see there are IR lasers available but are pricey.

User

I see an interesting thing the guys use on youtube, its called Laser Genetics. The pigs did not react to that light at all but somehow I thing our bosvarke are a bit more clever than that. Anyone use it before?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    ...What goggles would you recommend...
    Whatever is available. As long as they are hands-free (mounted on head) you should be fine. The set I used (borrowed) is not available anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    ...I see there are IR lasers available but are pricey...
    Hence my suggestion to "dim" a visible red one. The pigs seem to be able to see red light, so use carefully. But the same thing applies to most cheap "IR" iluminators that emit a dark red glow.

Just another note. I found that my muzzle flash would blind the NV for a few seconds. Not nice when the pigs are scattering after the first shot. So I now use a silencer to contain the flash. It also helps me to hear (and locate) them better, especially after the first one is shot.