Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Do you trust your reloads for carry?

Do you trust your reloads for carry? Do you use new brass for carry reloads?

I'm considering getting some new PMP brass and hollowpoints (next challenge - finding hollowpoints) and loading them for carry.

I would function check them with used brass and load carry ammo with new brass.

Any dealers got some 9mmP hollowpoint bullets in stock? :)

Default Re: Do you trust your reloads for carry?

I've "rolled" my own carry ammo for years now and I have no problem with continuing to do so in the future. If you already reload for range use then the only real difference, as far as I'm concerned, is the actual components. That being said, when loading carry ammo I make 110% certain of every step I take to make sure that the rounds are as perfect as possible.

I've used new cases before but I've also had the same results with good condition previously fired cases. What I do do is sort them by make (I generally use PMP as I get better velocities for the same weight of propellant) and not mix and match from different makers.

I've loaded on my Pro 1000 successfully but I think that the final product may be slightly better if produced on a single stage press, but that's just me ;D

Also very important for carry ammo is chronographing them IN YOUR GUN this is even more important than with range ammo, especially if you're making those Dragon Slayers grn1

What ever happened to the 147gr Speer Gold Dot heads that were meant to be coming in ???

User

I reload my own range ammo for 9mm and 40 and 12 gauge. I also load my own carry ammo and I obviously trust them with the lives of myself and my family.

User

What ever happened to the 147gr Speer Gold Dot heads that were meant to be coming in
    If this happens can someone please post the"where" on the ammo thread. As mentioned in other posts I've started shooting again after years. Was going through a box of old reloading components sored at the folks place for about 15 years and found this yellow plastic box with 28 of these still left. Would love some more...Remember always feeling a bit more confident with these in the mag!

when loading carry ammo I make 110% certain of every step I take to make sure that the rounds are as perfect as possible.
    The most important thing said here ... last week at the range heard this dull thud and then a jam. The next round would not chamber, or the one after that. After racking that sliode a few times I realised there was a head stuck just in front of the chamber. Thats what happens when you are still loading and you should already be at the range. Thank God it was at the range.

One of the big advantages to loading your own carry ammo is your ability to put a lot more rounds downrange to test reliability. Generally, and if available, a box of say 100 Hornady bullets will cost the same as a box of 20-25 premium JHP's, maybe less. You could load up and shoot lots more rounds than you would with loaded JHP's to test function and even accuracy out of your firearm. Most people pay a premium for loaded JHP's and can hardly afford to put a mag through their gun, let alone a few hundred.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Hm, seems like it's being done. Just need to get some hollowpoints. Can get the PMP brass locally.

Another option: does pulling the bullets from, say, PMP JHP rounds make the rounds any less reliable after you load them again? I have a few boxes of PMP JHP's and would like to "re" load them hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    Hm, seems like it's being done. Just need to get some hollowpoints. Can get the PMP brass locally.

Another option: does pulling the bullets from, say, PMP JHP rounds make the rounds any less reliable after you load them again? I have a few boxes of PMP JHP's and would like to "re" load them hotter.
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Anybody done this before? confused0083
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooter
    Do you trust your reloads for carry? Do you use new brass for carry reloads?

I'm considering getting some new PMP brass and hollowpoints (next challenge - finding hollowpoints) and loading them for carry.

I would function check them with used brass and load carry ammo with new brass.

Any dealers got some 9mmP hollowpoint bullets in stock? :)
    Some good points all round. A single stage press would more than likely ensure better QC.
    I would also taper-crimp my carry loads and seal the primers/case mouth with clear nail varnish to ensure the rounds last well.
    The 147gr Speer GD's are still on order, the Speer shipment hasn't left the U.S yet and should only be arriving early next year (hopefully the bullets will be on the container!).

Last time I checked, Camdix had Sierra Sportsmaster JHP's (same as Cor-Bon JHP's) in stock. Those work very, very well.
    They had 9x19 (115gr/125gr) and .40S&W 165gr JHP's.

Right Cadmix here I come ;D

I've done the PMP JHP reload before and can highly recommend it! I chrono'ed the standard 115gr JHP's before I started and they were doing +/- 1000 f/sec :P

5,5gr (please, big boy rules apply here ok md217) MP200 got them skipping along at +/- 1250 f/sec quite happily with only slightly more expansion of the cases than with my range rounds. This was out of my Vektor SP1 and may not be advisable for your particular gun, ok ;) I didn't coat the primers or case mouth with varnish and I carried them for at least 1 year before finding some Speer bullets to do the same with and shot them all off with Zero problems at one of our matches.

Accuracy was good! But expansion of the PMP 115gr JHP is not even close to that of the Hornady XTP they mimic. Later, I also got a hold of 115gr XTP's which I loaded to the same specs which also worked very well but their performance was better.

That being said, Ronden Arms in Ottery have got the PMP 115gr JHP for R163/100 to reload and if there's nothing else around I may just go this route again ???

User

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter
    Right Cadmix here I come ;D

I've done the PMP JHP reload before and can highly recommend it! I chrono'ed the standard 115gr JHP's before I started and they were doing +/- 1000 f/sec :P

5,5gr (please, big boy rules apply here ok md217) MP200 got them skipping along at +/- 1250 f/sec quite happily with only slightly more expansion of the cases than with my range rounds. This was out of my Vektor SP1 and may not be advisable for your particular gun, ok ;) I didn't coat the primers or case mouth with varnish and I carried them for at least 1 year before finding some Speer bullets to do the same with and shot them all off with Zero problems at one of our matches.

Accuracy was good! But expansion of the PMP 115gr JHP is not even close to that of the Hornady XTP they mimic. Later, I also got a hold of 115gr XTP's which I loaded to the same specs which also worked very well but their performance was better.

That being said, Ronden Arms in Ottery have got the PMP 115gr JHP for R163/100 to reload and if there's nothing else around I may just go this route again ???
    Thanks!

After you reloaded them, how did they perform? Expanded poorly, separated badly, etc?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast