Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Talk to me about bullet proof vests

Tweedledee, could you elaborate? They are situated in Germiston, which is a hell of a lot closer than Armoutech in Umhlanga!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Guys... We have done a fair amount of research to get where we are with the Ogre TAC Vest. It is state of the art. We have deliberately left out the additional 9 layers of Kevlar (we use 26 layers of 190gm for NIJ Level 2, instead of 35 layers for Level 3a) because the extra layers, laminated together, make the vest tre uncomfortable to wear - given that our vest wraps entirely around the body - the only advantage that Level 3a gives over Level 2 is 9mm SMG and 44 Mag... NOT common at all... And plates take care of that in any case. The polyethylene plates are the very, very latest thing and half the weight of ceramic/mixed/or steel. The absorb and swell up with bullets like a Pampers nappie. Zero spelling or shrapnel.

We are not experts, but have consulted with industry experts in the design. We can afford to do this because we have a sizeable order from a high risk team that makes all the development worthwhile.

Use it, don't use it.
    Last edited by Paul; 28-09-2014 at 18:34.

User

I can't wait till I'm in Jhb again, the wife's family is just down the road from you guys. I want to come see some more of your gear. This vest has my attention.

On a side note, is there any register of what type of pistol is "typical" in the hands of a criminal in SA?

KBK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Guys... We have done a fair amount of research to get where we are with the Ogre TAC Vest. It is state of the art. We have deliberately left out the additional 9 layers of Kevlar (we use 26 layers of 190gm for NIJ Level 2, instead of 35 layers for Level 3a) because the extra layers, laminated together, make the vest tre uncomfortable to wear - given that our vest wraps entirely around the body - the only advantage that Level 3a gives over Level 2 is 9mm SMG and 44 Mag... NOT common at all... And plates take care of that in any case. The polyethylene plates are the very, very latest thing and half the weight of ceramic/mixed/or steel. The absorb and swell up with bullets like a Pampers nappie. Zero spelling or shrapnel.

We are not experts, but have consulted with industry experts in the design. We can afford to do this because we have a sizeable order from a high risk team that makes all the development worthwhile.

Use it, don't use it.
    Sounds excellent. Price on vest and when we could maybe order it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    On a side note, is there any register of what type of pistol is "typical" in the hands of a criminal in SA?
    Mostly variations of 9mm and then 38 Spl.

User

Post on Paul's OGRE vest, for those interested in more details. Sounds like a good thing. Very interested to see final pricing.

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...lable-Tac-SHAC

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    I can't wait till I'm in Jhb again, the wife's family is just down the road from you guys. I want to come see some more of your gear. This vest has my attention.On a side note, is there any register of what type of pistol is "typical" in the hands of a criminal in SA? KBK
    SAPS issued Z88 and .223

User

just out of curiosity.... is there a reason that armor doesnt cover the front/back of your shoulders?
    apparently there's a major artery there on each side....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    just out of curiosity.... is there a reason that armor doesnt cover the front/back of your shoulders?
    apparently there's a major artery there on each side....
    True that - the shoulder is one of the places you really don't want to get shot, specifically because it can so often be fatal (actually you don't want to get shot at all, but that's beyond the point).
    My guess is that it would seriously hamper mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    just out of curiosity.... is there a reason that armor doesnt cover the front/back of your shoulders?apparently there's a major artery there on each side....
    The Gab Suarez blog shows him wearing a shoulder add-on which covers that exposed area. Looks very practical. Similar to the metal armour shoulder piece worn by warriors back in the day. This question always bothered me wearing a vest for NW activities as the shoulder vicinity provides a good entry point into the chest cavity for a bullet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast