User

Default Soutie's trip to Funky Town - Bug out weekend

Friday Afternoon: After a long drive in the rain from Boksburg with my partner who kindly offered to drop me off, a couple phone calls to Camo trying to find the secret location and a panic attack from the Mrs due to the treacherous conditions a white Double cab pulls up infront of us. Tracer had kindly offered to come get me and guide the mrs back out to the front gate.

I move my gear over to his vehicle asap.
    Listening to the radio chatter in the vehicle and the look on tracers face who was clearly not impressed with coming to rescue me from the road side in the pouring rain I was wondering what I was in for...
    We stopped in the middle of no where, I was ordered out the vehicle and to hand over all food and weapons.
    Told to walk in a westerly direction to find the man in charge. Which bloody way is west????

The rain was hectic and I was soaked, struggling to pick up my burgen, day sack, webbing and get my waterproof jacket on.. The vehicle drove off, I sorted my luggage out, scouted around and heading west moved to cover below a tree and behind a mound of dirt. Doning my waterproof pants I poked my head above the mound to asses the situation.

Who were these guys?
    Yes I think its a test of some kind but what am I supposed to do... What is the right thing to do and what do they expect from me? How serious is this drill? Am I about to be attacked?

After scouting the area I headed to the property which seemed a long way off, All I could see in the fading light was a green roof. Just before I got there I looked up to see a man to my right, a mask over is face and sopping wet in a poncho. Clearly the outline of a rifle under the poncho is visible, being held low and ready.
    I Walked towards him.
    Told to hault I do just that. A series of questions were asked about my intentions, guess I passed.
    Camo extended his hand, greeted me and I followed him to the house.

Saturday: L1
    Waking up at 04:50 is not something I'm used to, It took me straight back to the days training with the TA, I thought I best get up quick before I'm beasted! We took care of our personnal admin and awaited the rest of the group.
    07:00 everyone turned up, we were briefed and we moved out.
    What can I say about L1...

Weight - Dont pack everything you think you may need, pack what they suggest.

Fitness - 3.2kms is not far, I used to run that in 11 minutes... USED TO being the operative words here!
    With over packed L1 gear and a rifle in the heat is HARD, make no doubt about it. Watch your time on your hike and when you feel your running out of time, dont try and run! Like me you'll end up out of breath and with a stitch when you try and shoot!

Your Rifle - I'll get to the thanks shortly but CAMO, Thank you for lending me your Ruger. I wish I was more fimliar with the rifle and had a real chance to Zero it in BUT in a real life situation you may pick up a rifle you dont know, it may not be zero'd and I tell you what... Its down to you to improve your basic knowlege of firearms, Even for the ones you dont own. If you dont, in a real life situation you may die. During the L1 shooting I realised this, I would be dead.
    There were some amazing shots on the day and some bad ones.. Mainly mine! lol
    Not knowing the rifle I was using, not knowing something as simple as where the bolt release was lead fail my first attempt at L1. So know your weapon... And Zero it in!

The rest of the weekend was plesent, I had chance to try a MRE I got from TACQM, It was awesome. Get Some!
    Camo and Honey badger were kind enough to go get some meat and some beers, the rest of the evening was enjoyed with good food, drink and great conversation (On their part!) It was the first time in many years that made me feel like I should of payed more attention in History class!

To finish,
    I had no idea what to expect from the members of sas. I, like many people reading this or researching the club had a few misconseptions. Was there some great plan behind the club, Political or racial? Were they all ex-military? Were they gonna be a bunch of redneck nutters??????

The Answer to the above is a sincere NO.

This weekend I met some of the nicest, kindest, most generous people I have ever met. All very polite and highly educated. To be fair, not the kind of people I expected to meet. I want anybody reading this that has any pre-misconceptions about the club to take the time and visit sas. I assure you that you will not be dissapointed.
    Sas is a good club for good people.

I would like to thank Camo, Tracer, Honey Badger, Box and all the other guys I met this weekend, It was a great weekend, I learned a lot and I hope I continue to learn with you guys.

Thank you.

P.s
    Sorry for the spelling mistakes, Auto correct isnt set up on this laptop.

User

Default Re: Soutie's trip to Funky Town - Bug out weekend

Sounds like a great weekend, did you actually give up all your weapons? Guns, knives etc?

User

Default Soutie's trip to Funky Town - Bug out weekend

Haha nice one! Sounds like the lads gave you a great initiation!

Times like these make the bond between members stronger!

Oh and don't worry about old tracer..... My first search and rescue camp with him I kakked off too! :)

Sorry I missed this one, sounded awesome!

Was a rough welcome you got Soutie. But we'll done for seeing it through.

For what it's worth Honey Badger and Tracer equally got the same, although the rain and your trip in was much worse.

Good luck with your plans.

User

Hey Camo, Thanks for the reply and the voice mail this morning.
    I will keep in touch and hope to see you guys soon.
    Once again, was a great weekend!

Griffin, I had no guns so there was none to give... Kept the blades ;-)

Nice to have met you SP.
    Welcome to S-a-s, you won't be sorry.
    Next time we just need to make 100% sure the rifle is zero'd... but in a survival situation, one might not always be afforded the luxury.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"