Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default NSA Dedicated status

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct thread. Mods please move it if necessary.

I have a few question or in fact need some advice or t be pointed in the correct direction.
    I want to get my DSS through NSA. I have read their website and understand a few things according to their site but maybe someone can help I have searched the forum but would like a few comments or advice as well.

First things first. As some know I am in the SAPS based at a specialized unit in George, Garden Route area. I reside in in Oudtshoorn though. I know Andy Fuller for some time now but he is based in the Rheenendal area outside Knysna. It will be a bit dificult for me to join his club as he is affiliated with the bodies in order to obtain DSS. Travelling will be a slight issue for me as it will be closer to go shoot in George. In fact I am not even sure if Oudtshoorn has a shooting club. My father in law is in the SANDF and someone that he knows in the SANDF also has DSS so I will contact him as well regarding this.But NSA seems to be the more logical way to go.

My questions:

1) Will NSA be the right way to go?

2) Do I join NSA, pay the annual fees, Request to become DSS as they explain on their website and pay the fees for study material? What happens then?

3) How many times do I actually have to shoot to qualify for DSS through NSA?

4) The targets they send you, am I correct in saying that it has to completed by a range officer affiliated by the them? Ive seen on their site that the shooting club in George is affiliated by them.

5) Can the shooting take place on anyday when they are there or only on a Saturday for instance?

6) I am part of the SAPS practical pistol shooting club and do monthly shooting as a sport in the SAPS. Can that help me in anyway? Just to add when we do shoot we shoot at Andy Fuller and make use of state transport as it is an official sport in the SAPS. This would help allot. Maybe I can just the targets along and do the required shooting at the same time?

7) is there someone here that can perhaps explain me the procedure with NSA in a PM or comment the exact stepd he/she has taken and what all happened in order to obtain DSS through NSA. I am only planning on doing all this end of April when I get my bonus to pay the necessary costs involved to join.

Sorry for asking all these questions if it has been discussed before.

Regards

User

Default Re: NSA Dedicated status

I'd also be interested in hearing how to go about getting DSS...

User

join NSA and pay the annual fee and pay for the DSS study material (all the options and prices are on the application form yopu get off their website). They post you a CD. Study it. Phone them and request to do the online test. They'll send you a link, follow the link, do the test (multiple choice, pretty easy) Shoot a few targets (they send you some with the CD, just photocopy a bunch), and post them in, Range officer signs off on them, any time that is convenient for you. Once they receive the targets they'll email you a PDF of your DSS certificate, while the hardcopy is in the mail.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    join NSA and pay the annual fee and pay for the DSS study material (all the options and prices are on the application form yopu get off their website). They post you a CD. Study it. Phone them and request to do the online test. They'll send you a link, follow the link, do the test (multiple choice, pretty easy) Shoot a few targets (they send you some with the CD, just photocopy a bunch), and post them in, Range officer signs off on them, any time that is convenient for you. Once they receive the targets they'll email you a PDF of your DSS certificate, while the hardcopy is in the mail.
    What P2w said.
    To add you need to participate to maintain status. This is done with a minimum of 2 targets posted . targets signed off by RO and done on different concussions. More is better.

User

Great thank you guys.

So it is not as complicated as it sounds. Pretty much easy and simple.
    In other words minimum of 2 shoots annually?
    Also, If i shoot the 2 shoots required, that will give me DSS in handgun and semi auto or just in one?
    Do they send me targets for for handgun and semi auto and I have to complete shoots for both twice in order to obtain DSS for bth handgun and rifle?

How many rounds do you use per handgun and rifle for one shoot?
    I just want to work out the amount of rounds that needs to be used in order to budget for a year and how much it will cost. Then I can know how many times I can shoot per year to make it more than only 2 shoots required.

Thanks

User

DSS applies to the person, not for the firearm.

handgun and manual rifle are 5 shots each no time limit, semi auto rifle is 4 targets of 5 rounds each at differing distances, stances and time limits.

they sent me one set of each division target- rimfire handgun and rifle, and centrefire handgun and rifle. I joined before they introduced the semi auto rifle division, but all targets can be downloaded from their website

User

I work as a paramedic so doing shifts make it extremely hard for me to attend shoots to get dss. I did my dss trough nsa and it took me less than 2 weeks partialy because i could drop off my targets and collect my study materials. They are extremely proficient fast and friendly. Nsa is the way to go and they are 100% above board and legal.

User

NSA member only has to sign for SLR targets.

The only thing not covered is that YOU are responsible for maintaining your status through the prescribed shoots and completing the necessary documentation for annual submission to the NSA. It is not a case of got it now, and all is well, you have to maintain the status.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Speak to Andy about doing the International Firearms Training Academy shoots. You should have no problem in getting the required points for DSS.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast