User

Default where to zero my Super blackhawk

Hi ouens

Going hunting with my super Blackhawk this year.

Shooting Hornady 225gr @ 1410 fps ( acc to Hornady) I don't want to shoot(hunt) further than 70 metres. Now for the question...

Where, on what distance should I zero my gun and how low/high will I be at 25/50/70 metres

Thanks

User

Default Re: where to zero my Super blackhawk

I have a Blackhawk(357Mag), when used for hunting I set it in at 50m and don't shoot beyond that. Heart/lung shots to that distance I just aim dead on. If the animal is further than 50m and I can't get closer its his lucky day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Darren12 View Post
    I have a Blackhawk(357Mag), when used for hunting I set it in at 50m and don't shoot beyond that. Heart/lung shots to that distance I just aim dead on. If the animal is further than 50m and I can't get closer its his lucky day.
    If you zero on fifty, where are you on 25 metres?

User

Im not trying to be funny, but hunting, any hunting is a serious business, even more so the more "restrictive" your tools of choice are

You will really have to spend a shit lot of time on the range, practicing /shooting from all conceivable positions etc.

Your own ability will determine your max comfortable range and in doing so, your Zero distance

With practice you will quickly become aware of where you particular kit will print at various distances

Good luck and enjoy

User

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Im not trying to be funny, but hunting, any hunting is a serious business, even more so the more "restrictive" your tools of choice are

You will really have to spend a shit lot of time on the range, practicing /shooting from all conceivable positions etc.

Your own ability will determine your max comfortable range and in doing so, your Zero distance

With practice you will quickly become aware of where you particular kit will print at various distances

Good luck and enjoy
    Thanks, I must say that I have hunted hundreds of animals before, and have shot over 20 species with the compound bow, I wont hunt if I dont know what I am doing, but what I was asking is where to zero my handgun when hunting, there must be a general concensus of some sort. I know there are other SBH and .44 owners here so I would like to know wht they zero on, Once I have a idea of where the guys zero, i can take the knowledge to the range and work from there.

User

My SBH 44 is spot on at 50 with my full hunting load (300gr bonded FP) and a full sight at 100 only hunt up to 50 though. Do most of my practice at 50 and 75, but enjoy shooting falling plate at 100 just for shits and giggles

The real answer to your question is: At whatever distance you want to, but that is not what you want to hear.

I hunt with a 270grn Keith type SWC PB bullet, doing 1300fps at the muzzle. I zero my iron sights at 40y (because that is where I can hit a 200mm gong with every shot, over my sticks). Trajectory is as follows:
    -bullet crosses LOS @20y
    - and again @40y
    - it is 2" low at 75y
    - it is 6.2" low at 100yards.

I know that you asked your question in meters, but my crib sheet (WHICH YOU MUST DEVELOP FOR YOURSELF....i.e. Yeti's point) is in yards.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    The real answer to your question is: At whatever distance you want to, but that is not what you want to hear.

I hunt with a 270grn Keith type SWC PB bullet, doing 1300fps at the muzzle. I zero my iron sights at 40y (because that is where I can hit a 200mm gong with every shot, over my sticks). Trajectory is as follows:
    -bullet crosses LOS @20y
    - and again @40y
    - it is 2" low at 75y
    - it is 6.2" low at 100yards.

I know that you asked your question in meters, but my crib sheet (WHICH YOU MUST DEVELOP FOR YOURSELF....i.e. Yeti's point) is in yards.
    Thanks

I know it is different loads/speed etc. but I will also not shoot further than 75, but from your info, I guess I will more or less be within 2inches from the bullseye up until 70 yrds.

I will zero at 20 and then check it further out, and make notes. Do some of you use sticks and which ones? I see Primos makes one with a trigger for deployment, what do you guys think of that for the longer 70 yrd shots?