Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need some educating

HI Guys im new to the site and new to guns in general.I wanted to find out as a first time buyer are you allowed to purchase a firearm from an individual or only from a gunshop.
    Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Need some educating

Welcome to GunSite.

You can buy a firearm from either an individual or a gunshop. No difference.

Either can sell you a pig in a poke too, so go with a reputable dealer or get someone who knows to check out the gun with you. (Granted, not so much an issue when buying new, but since you mention "from an individual" I'm guessing you're looking at pre-owned).

Banned

Welcome! If I recall correctly, it has to be done through a gun shop.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Welcome! If I recall correctly, it has to be done through a gun shop.
    Nope can be done person to person.

It is a lot safer going via a shop however.

User

First choice is a gun shop....easier.....but sometimes you get a really good deal privately you just have to take it.....and there have been some really good deals on this forum

ok thanks for responses. Maybe I should clarify I don't have a license yet and was told that if I buy a gun from a gunshop they keep it till license is approved. Im assuming this would be different buying from an individual as same rules would not apply? again im assuming that the person would actually not be allowed to sell me a firearm as I don't have a license. The reason im a little confused is the gunshop apparently put the firearm serial number on the gun license im applying for. Would that be the case with a private seller too? Thanks

User

When buying privately, you could either leave it with the previous owner or pay for it and move it to a gun shop.

What you could do is move it to a "dealer" that has a range, then you can go visit and fondle your baby while waiting for the lic.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    When buying privately, you could either leave it with the previous owner or pay for it and move it to a gun shop. What you could do is move it to a "dealer" that has a range, then you can go visit and fondle your baby while waiting for the lic.
    hahaha well that sounds like a better idea.thanks for your help. Would I need him to sign something or what info would need to be exchanged?

User

Have you done your competencies yet?

You would need to fill in a SAPS e271 form, both you and the current owner.

HI Andycap
    I have not done anything as yet.going for competencies end of this month only.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast