Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Letter to the Press

I sent this one off to The Citizen (received positive response from them before), The Star, The M&G, The Argus. Will see what happens.

Dear Sir,

Legal gun ownership in South Africa has again been thrust into the spotlight, in no small part thanks to the Oscar Pistorius trial. Throughout this process of debate Gun Free South Africa (GFSA) have propagated what they claim to be statistics proving that people who own firearms are more prone to acts of violence, or more likely to be victims of acts of violence. These allegations are not remotely true of course, and they have been debunked on numerous occasions when GFSA have debated with the South African Gunowners Association (SAGA) and the Gunowners of South Africa (GOSA) on television and the radio. GFSA also claim that all they want is for more gun control to be legislated and enforced. This is untrue: they desire a total prohibition of civilian firearm ownership and Sheena Duncan, one of their spokespeople, openly admitted this fact to Richard Boothroyd of GOSA.

It is naďve to believe that a prohibition on civilian firearm ownership would remotely stem violence and crime perpetrated by armed criminals. The SAPS and SANDF lose hundreds if not thousands of firearms every year, another fact frequently reported in the media. There are no prizes for guessing where these lost firearms end up: the criminal element has a virtually inexhaustible supply of guns with which to ply their trade courtesy of the State. The only thing that will be achieved by a prohibition is the total disarmament of the civilian population, and so doing making us completely defenceless against criminals who seek to harm us.

Considering the dismal response rate of the SAPS to crimes-in-progress it is foolhardy to depend on the Police for your protection: they simply do not possess the resources to be everywhere they are needed when they are needed. This is not a problem I foresee being solved in the near future, and I will prefer my right and ability to defend my life and the lives of my loved ones not be infringed upon by an organisation like GFSA who are shamelessly using the Oscar Pistorius trial to catapult their own ambitions.

Kind Regards,

GDJ

User

Nice!!

User

Default Re: Letter to the Press

+1

User

Good one!

User

Nice letter :)

Let's hope they maybe print it?

User

Thanks chaps. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Even if just one paper prints it, it would be good enough for me. I am currently working on something a little bigger for online dissemination. I will keep you posted.

User

Well said!

User

+1

Good Letter1 Lets just hope it makes its way into the papers for the sake of the sheeple!!

User

Extremely well written

User

Thanks for the compliments, please let me know if you see it published in any of the papers.

I must humbly apologise to Dick for referencing his name without asking his permission. I was caught-up in the moment of writing, and sent the letter off without asking him. That was not very good of me at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast