Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Scope for Gamo Shadow 1000

Hi All
    I searched the forum for this bur only found very old threads. I am sure there is newer info on this. I bought my son a Gamo Shadow 1000 and would like to put a decent scope/mounts on for him. Could someone please point me in the right direction in terms of Make/specs/size etc i should look for please
    I dont want to buy something that wont last very long or is cheap cr@p
    THanks

User

Default Re: Scope for Gamo Shadow 1000

The hawke scopes look nice, i almost got one for my Gamo.

The best guys to chat to about air rifles are here --> http://www.airrifle.co.za/

User

They are hard on scopes. Use the iron sights.

If that does not convince you:

1. Get a single base with two scope rings
    2. Buy a scope that is air rifle rated ... yes, they do break more scopes than regular rifles (there is a bump when the spring is let go and one when the top hat hits the front)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    2. Buy a scope that is air rifle rated ...
    How would i know if its air rifle rated, is there a marking or a code to look out for?

User

Yes, it says air rifle rated on the box. Nikko Sterling is not a bad choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    The hawke scopes look nice, i almost got one for my Gamo.

The best guys to chat to about air rifles are here --> http://www.airrifle.co.za/
    Agree on airrifle.co.za. Gamos are notoriously hard on scopes and will break the scope in medium term. Best is to have them "down tuned" by cutting a couple of coils off the main spring. This makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot, decreases recoil and not so prone to damage the scope. Contact Mze on the airrifle forum, he has vast knowledge on tuning these rifles.

User

Yeah scopes on airrifles, even if you do get it pinned down hard enough and if it does last long enough you may find that the POI will shift dramatically during different shooting sessions. For a springer I would just stick with Iron Sights or buy a PCP airgun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Agree on airrifle.co.za. Gamos are notoriously hard on scopes and will break the scope in medium term. Best is to have them "down tuned" by cutting a couple of coils off the main spring. This makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot, decreases recoil and not so prone to damage the scope. Contact Mze on the airrifle forum, he has vast knowledge on tuning these rifles.
    I agree with bonedoc. A friend had a gamo air rifle that broke 2 gamo scopes and 1 nikko sterling in less than a month. The only way to get past this is to cut the spring or have a gasram fitted. You can contact Uncle Vincent (Mze) at 0
    11 791 0629 or Kevin (Airvolution) at 0766031841. Kevin specializes more in pcp air rifles but is always helpful and can work wonders.

User

Hell, apart from breaking a scope, I'd suggest you let him shoot with the open sights to let him learn how to shoot first.... Open sights will teach him about proper aiming, sight alignment and sight picture. Once he's proficient with that, then stick a scope on it and start shooting at distance or for groups.

I recently put a Guerilla 4x32AO (basically a rebranded Nikko Sterling Mountmaster) on my (very much stock) CFX, and I'm more than happy. The rifle comes with a scope mounting base fitted and the scope came with rings. 1/2" groups at 20m over a good rest is suddenly pretty much routine (even with the CFX's horrible trigger) using Gamo Pro-Magnum pellets.

:- P

User

THanks everybody for your input. I think i will try a Nikko Sterling with 1 piece hawke mount and if that does not work i will try something else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast