Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Robbers shoot Morningside dad

March 24 2014 at 04:56pm

By ZAINUL DAWOOD

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]Independent Newspapers
    File photo: Bongiwe Mchunu

Durban - A gang of robbers, pretending to want directions, shot a Morningside father and terrorised his family.
    Chris Denn, 58, was shot in the stomach.
    His father-in-law, Ian Thomas, said not even electrical fencing and high gates at his Ross Gardens Road property deterred the robbers.
    They gained entry into the house by removing the brackets of his driveway gate and forcing it open.
    Thomas said he was on the phone with his daughter in London when the intercom bell rang.
    A man with a reflector jacket was at the gate. His wife, Maureen, spoke to the man through the intercom.
    He asked for directions to Kensington before walking away.
    Thomas, who could see the front gate, said he then saw a man step onto the porch.
    At first he thought it was his gardener. But then he saw a man with a balaclava armed with a crowbar.
    “I immediately warned my wife and pressed the panic alarm,” he said.
    Within minutes, two men walked into the bedroom and placed a gun on to his wife’s forehead, Thomas said.
    A third man followed Thomas.
    His daughter, Carol, and her husband, Chris Denn, who live in the unit above their house, were walking down the back steps to their car when they heard screams and the alarm go off.
    “The alarm caused the robbers to panic and run out the front door”. Denn was walking down the driveway when one of the fleeing robbers shot him, said Thomas, adding that a doctor across the road heard the gunshots and came to see what had happened.
    “He assisted Chris before the paramedics arrived.”
    The bullet was removed and Denn is reported to be recovering well.
    Before fleeing the robbers took Maureen Thomas’s gold bracelets, earrings and wedding ring.
    Her husband said: “I count myself lucky that I saw them. The jewellery can be replaced, but not our lives.”
    Daily News

[/COLOR]

User

Default Re: Robbers shoot Morningside dad

Hmm. At least he lived to tell the tale. I would personally pay for the ammo to get this guy shooting.

In today's world I can't see why people don't own and carry a weapon all the time. Things could have ended badly for both people

User

Thats the disadvantage for not having licenced guns, many people but no help
    lucky they survived

Unarmed and still shot .
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

I have stopped telling people to get guns, I always get the same response

User

is it just me or are there a whole lot of this happening in Durban? I dont meen anything by it, just seems like the last bunch of robberies have happened there.

There seems to be a spike recently. The Task Team needs to be deployed here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    is it just me or are there a whole lot of this happening in Durban? I dont meen anything by it, just seems like the last bunch of robberies have happened there.
    +1.I find Durbanites (in general) to be much more complacent about self defence than people from other provinces. Yes, they'll invest a bit in an alarm and security/armed response, but that's where it ends. I asked a friend (father of 3) what he will do should he awake to intruders in his home. His response: "Press the panic button" Most who i interact with have never considered owning a firearm and those who have, feel it is too much of a task to go through the entire process + they've "heard" it takes like whole year to get a licence. Most guys who have informed me that they own a gun do not edc. In fact, they do not carry at all.

User

Hope he gets a speedy recovery.

A nervous robber is very dangerous, not that a non nervous robber isnt dangerous but IMO a nervous robber is more likely shoot (or if he is drugged up).

User

I'm glad the guy is recovering. A minor irritation is the mention of the bullet being removed and the association with his recovery. First thing a surgeon always gets asked by the family is "did you remove the bullet?", as if that has anything to do with the damage associated with the injury.

I hope he makes a rapid recovery and decides to make his and his family's safety a priority in future.

lithium

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast