User

Default Recoil and scopes

My Dad bought a Leopold VX1 for his very light weight 375H&H browning. Obviously this was not a good idea and now we are looking for a replacement. My question is how do I know for which caliber a rifle scope is rated in terms of recoil. Please help! He is currently looking a Leupold VX3 4-12x50 or a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50.

User

Default Re: Recoil and scopes

KM,

What went wrong with the Leupold VX1?? I have a similar VX1 model on my Howa 375Ruger (also a light weight rifle) for two seasons with just under 200 rounds fired and have not experienced any issues.

B3

User

My Dad is not impressed with the optics quality and the point of impact seems to shift. I am glad you didn't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    My Dad is not impressed with the optics quality and the point of impact seems to shift. I am glad you didn't have any issues.
    The one quality that makes Leupold stand out is durability. Shifting point of impact suggests something other than the scope. But if its the scope, I'm sure Leupold would like to hear about it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    The one quality that makes Leupold stand out is durability. Shifting point of impact suggests something other than the scope. But if its the scope, I'm sure Leupold would like to hear about it.

I wanted to say exactly that but could'nt quite find the words.
    If it is the scope then I would really like to hear about that also. Would be the first Leupold that I hear about, which does so.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    and the point of impact seems to shift. I am glad you didn't have any issues.
    To open myself up for some abuse.

I had the Rifleman 3-9x40. Worked perfectly. Went hunting in the Karoo, tripped (ankle got caught in a crack) and I then saw my rear end without a mirror. Scope took a knock and also started shifting point of aim. (tested with a different scope, Gun operates fine) My rifleman has been sent back to Leupold for testing/repair (sent it via my brother that was returning to the USA on Sunday) Waiting to hear if it is a viable option (cost) to repair it or just replace it. Leupold does punt durability, contact them and take them up on their stance.