Default Barnes TSX bullets?????????

I wish to place a general enquiry as to the performance of the Barnes TSX 338 Win Mag 250 gr flat base bullets.

On two occasion's whilst hunting a Zebra and a Kudu bull I was amazed at the distance covered by the animal when shot with the Barnes TSX bullets.

The shots taken were both well placed lung shots and the bullets penetrated right through the animal but the Kudu covered over 200 meters before he ran out of steam and the Zebra was tracked for over a hour before we found it.

The shots were clearly good shots that went directly through both lugs. I have hunted identical animals before using less expensive Sierra Game King bullets and with the Sierra they dropped within a 20 meters.

The Kudu was 50 meters away and the Zebra about 35 meters.

The bullet was loaded using using data obtained from Somchem.

Powder: S365
    Load: 60 grs
    OAL: 83.5 mm
    Velocity: 2560 Ft/s @ Cronny placed 2 meters in from of the barrel

I suspect the bullet is not mushrooming and behaving like a solid instead resulting in less trauma to the animal.

I also don't think I should increase the velocity because I am close to the limit and at the distance the game was shot the strike velocity should be more than adequate.

Have any one else experienced this problem and if so let me know of your experience with the Barnes TSX bullets and what can be done to correct the problem if any.

The farmer has in his opinion said the bullets are KAK md217

Default Re: Barnes TSX bullets?????????

I only use Barnes TSX bullets in my .308 (155gr @ 2800fps) and .458 WM (450gr @2300fps) I have never had bullet failure and have only managed to recover 3 bullets that have hit major bones. The bullets all perform very well and are extremely accurate. I have already bought a stock of them for my .338 WM that is being built.

Zebra's are tough as hell and will sometimes go pretty far even with well place shots. Remember lung shots are not instant killers, the animal has to bleed to death or suffocate to death with lungs filled with blood, this can take a while!

Considering the cost of hunting it is stupid to shoot a R7500.00 kudu with a R1.00 bullet and then blame the bullet. I will stick to Barnes, they work!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

I failed to mention how well the Woodleigh 250 gr bullets I used about 5 years ago performed.

The Woodleigh bullets dropped everything from Eland, Kudu, Zebra, Hartebeest to pigs with single shots however I never recovered a single bullet out of the fifty I loaded.

Then again a .338 Win Mag is a hard hitter.

I have a All Weather Ruger MkII fitted with a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 X 40 scope.

It kicks like a Mule due to the light weight and stock design and takes some getting used to.

The Steyr Mannlicher .375 H&H with heavy barrel shooting a 286 gr PMP solid bullet kicks less.

I prefer the Ruger as it has a big punch with light weight characteristics for walk and stalk.

Started making plans for next years hunt but will first be doing my PH course in April 2010 before the hunt just to make things more interesting.

Yours in shooting/hunting

Wesson357

I love the .338 as well, can't wait for them to finish mine! Many bambies to go shoot!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

As a suggestion, try Rhino Core Bonded, Solid Shank bullets.
    They are cheaper than Barnes and locally made.
    It's all I use in my rifles and all recovered rounds performed brilliantly!!
    I switched to them after my clients almost lost 2 animals, and haven't lost an animal since...
    Only ever heard good things about them.

Call your local gunshop or Kobus on 043 7361822 / 0823746440
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I use Rhino's in my .303 for hunting and I have been very happy with them.

Sean
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

I think I should maybe bite the bullet and try the local stuff although I must say I am always sceptical about most things local apart from the beer.

Wesson367.....had the exact same sh*t with the Barnes in my 7x64 traveling at about 2600.

I also feel into the marketing trap for BARNES BULLETS, and eventually went back to the basics with my original Game King load.
    Remember, confidence in your rilfe and bullets = confidence in your mind. Helps when the trophies step out.....

User

You'll be surprised at the quality of a lot of South African Bullets....
    Support local!!!!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Right I have been on the Rhino website already but it looks as if it is their old site as the date is 2007.

It looks as if they manufacture two types of bullets SOLIDS and Bonded core bullets right.

Would like to see better cross sectional pictures of their bullets as the othe imported stuff show.

Impressive bullet performance taken from hunts.

Have asked for a price list.

Stop press Kobus just sent the price list.

Sh*t he forgot the attachment will contact him and try again.