User

Default First time applicant for license - need some advice

Hi all,

I have recently started the long walk to obtaining a firearm license. I write my proficiency test on the Act on Tuesday and shortly after that will commence with the firearm type and shooting.

I am a first time applicant for any firearm license type. I want to obtain an FN-FAL (R1) rifle. Now my experience, being an Attorney and all, is that dealing with our bureaucracy, they may not be overly excited and pleased by the fact that as a first time gun owner I want to get a license for this monster.

I mainly want the rifle to do the occasional bit of sport shooting, but I am not a member of a shooting club. I don't even want to hunt to with it as I am not a keen hunter. I love the firearm and want one simply because I like it.

Now to the question - one these facts, what are the chances of a first time gun owner being granted a license for this type of firearm? Any help on how I can give myself a better chance would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Werner

Default Re: First time applicant for license - need some advice

Well, Werner, first you need to observe our rules – please go over to the introduction section and introduce yourself.

Then, to answer your question:

• Your probabilities of getting one under section 14 (licensed to possess a restricted firearm for self defence) lie somewhere between none at all and extremely unlikely.

• The only other way you could get one would be under section 16 (dedicated sports shooting and dedicated hunting) or section 17 (private collection).

Banned

For all practical purposes you would need to commit to shooting sports which means getting designated sport status for a semi-auto rifle.
    NSA is the shortest route.

It is cheaper and wiser to do all your proficiencies and competencies at once. Whichever route you decide to go it will take a bit of time.

User

Thanks very much. I will most likely head in the direction of section 17 since I won't fire it too often. Thanks for the advice.

Kind regards

Werner

Quote Originally Posted by Werner747 View Post
    Thanks very much. I will most likely head in the direction of section 17 since I won't fire it too often. Thanks for the advice.

Kind regards

Werner
    You might find the Section 17 licence more easily said than done. You should find some information in the collectors section of this forum.