Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Private purchase

Hi guys,

I’ve spent the entire night on the net trying to find out what the proper procedures are for purchasing a second-hand rifle privately, but alas, no luck.

Is there someone that can shine some light on the topic?

Default Re: Private purchase

I obtained 2 firearms from a private person. All we did is to go the DFO, obtained 2 application forms and I will submit these two either today or Monday.

Hi Corne,

Who is going to keep possession of the firearms until you get your licences, i.e. the seller, you or 'n dealer? I have no relation to the seller and since I'm going to pay for the rifle upfront I would prefer to not have the rifle in the sellers possession.

Which application from dit you get from the DFO?

The application is on SAPS271 and the firearms are in my care via a SAPS 539. No dealer in this loop of events.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    The application is on SAPS271 and the firearms are in my care via a SAPS 539. No dealer in this loop of events.
    if you bought from a dealer are you saying that it is going to have to stay by the dealer?

Corne,

No such luck for me. Went to the Vanderbijlpark police station where the current own lives and was told that transfer of ownership can only be done to a dealer, also, I would not be able to get possession of the firearm until I receive my licence for it.

Do you mind elaborating on the process you followed?

Vaughan,

In this this instance we are talking about a private sale.

User

yes i see so, just breaks my heart to have my fiearm sitting in the gunshop till my licence is approved!

:-\

Gladly, I just got back in the office after my trip to the DFO where I just now handed in my renewal for three firearms and the application for three new firearms of which two are those that I referred to previously.

SAPS 271 does make provision for purchase from a private person. As far as my knowledge goes and the way I understand the process, you can still obtain a firearm directly from someone other than a dealer (a private sale). The documentation (SAPS 271) is setup in this manner that it does make provision for this. All I did with the two firearms that I obtained from another private person, is that we went to the local (the police station closest to my and his place of work) DFO, explained the sitation, he then gave us the SAPS 271 fo complete and I just submitted these two applications to another DFO (a different police station as I do not fall in the same area as where I work and thus the station that serves the area that I live in). This was accepted without any word or question. So I fail to see the why you are not able to obtain the same service and I am confused.

On the issue of the SAPS 539, there is another thread that deals with this discussion:-

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=518.0

As far as I know and understand the SAPS 539 can't be used when obtaining a firearm from a dealer.

Just remember that the SAPS 539 only allows you to store the firearm and not to use it. If you want to use it you will have to go the Section 21 permit. This I understand can also apply to a firearm which is purchased from a dealer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast