Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Training vs Sport shooting (IDPA)

Training will teach you to handle you weapon under pressure, handle stoppages, moving and shooting and loading at the same time, sports shooting is sports shooting, not training

User

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    Mmmmmmm, I am going to be different ... In my opinion it is more important to become familiar with your weapon and learn to handle it properly under stress and then go for tactical training. I would therefore first join any decent sport shooting club and learn to handle my weapon safely under a diversity of circumstances. When I have that under control, I will do tactical training.

Far easyer to focus on the correct tactics if your weapons handling comes as second nature ... but that is just my opinion ...
    At risk of picking up bad habits that could be avoided by getting decent training first. It is harder to unlearn bad habits than it is to avoid learning them in the first place.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    handle you weapon under pressure, handle stoppages, moving and shooting and loading at the same time
    Is this not idpa/ipsc?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Is this not idpa/ipsc?
    Again, Training versus Games.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Training will teach you to handle you weapon under pressure, handle stoppages, moving and shooting and loading at the same time, sports shooting is sports shooting, not training
    Can't leave out the bit in the beginning. Context is a wonderful thing. :)

User

Mmmmmmm, I am going to be different ... In my opinion it is more important to become familiar with your weapon and learn to handle it properly under stress and then go for tactical training. I would therefore first join any decent sport shooting club and learn to handle my weapon safely under a diversity of circumstances. When I have that under control, I will do tactical training.

Far easyer to focus on the correct tactics if your weapons handling comes as second nature ... but that is just my opinion ...
    I must say , in my experience with shooters who do this we often have to work really hard to get over well instilled bad habits. Time and ammo they could have spent hard wiring better habits.

User

Manservant and BigT are spot on IMO.

I have first-hand experience. I did it the wrong way when I started.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    Manservant and BigT are spot on IMO.

I have first-hand experience. I did it the wrong way when I started.
    So did I! :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    So did I! :)
    Well then... why the hell didn't you warn me!?!?!?

I agree that sport shooting is just that, but I also want to bet you that he average sport shooter who participate fairly regularly has better gun handling skills than the average person who attended a training course two.

I am talking about regular exposure to shooting ... if you go the training route then you must do it regularly to off-set the advantage competitive shooting will give you.

I honestly believe that for the average man or woman on the street carrying for protection regular (as in weekly) shooting is key regardless of whether it is sport or training.

User

I agree that sport shooting is just that, but I also want to bet you that he average sport shooter who participate fairly regularly has better gun handling skills than the average person who attended a training course two.

I am talking about regular exposure to shooting ... if you go the training route then you must do it regularly to off-set the advantage competitive shooting will give you.

I honestly believe that for the average man or woman on the street carrying for protection regular (as in weekly) shooting is key regardless of whether it is sport or training.

I agree that shooting sports are a great opportunity to get repetitions in. I recommend to all the guys who train with me to go shoot a sport.

But you won't necessarily be getting in the best repetitions in if your technique is lacking to begin with. I've seen enough guys who've become exceptionally well versed at bad technique that in pretty confident about that. Hence training to learn new skills and competition as an opportunity to get them internalized.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast