Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Training vs Sport shooting (IDPA)

I specifically avoided to start sport shooting before I had my first training session. I'd do it again if my life somehow rebooted

Quote Originally Posted by zhattingh View Post
    Hi guys, Hope you had a great time at Huntex. I have searched the forum, but cant seem to find a comparison. I need a few opinions here. I am struggling to decide which is "better" better in the case of training. What will be best: Proper training from someone like BigT or joining a club like IDPA. Can only chose 1. Due to costs. Which in you opinion will be best to get that something extra? I am one of those who went through the entire process to get a HD and unfortunately have not gone the extra mile to get training. Which I believe is absolutely important... Please any advice/opinions will be appreciated...
    It actually depends on the type of training compared to something like IDPA. Going for a low light training cource will teach you a lot about low light gun fighting and where your kit is lacking. Doing IDPA will do more to boost your confidence and general skill. If you absolutely cannot do both in other words not even one training session if you are doing IDPA I would say for the money you can learn more from more IDPA matches than one training session. However, I would also suggest do a beginners course if you are terrified of the gun and then do some IDPA in the longer run.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post

Can't leave out the bit in the beginning. Context is a wonderful thing. :)
    What im saying is that the way he described training sounded alot like idpa

I think everyone should do both

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    What im saying is that the way he described training sounded alot like idpa

I think everyone should do both
    The OP can only do 1, thus propper training trumps sport shooting.

User

Training First: To get the correct fundamentals in place (Grip, Stance, Sight-alignment, trigger control, Gun manipulation etc, etc, etc)

Sport Second: The opportunity to put the above into 'practice'.

Without the former, the latter would be either a waste of ammo or a waste of time. One cannot get competitive at all without the proper fundamentals (the actual shooting of the gun forms a huge part of the sport does it not?)

It took me a while to 'unlearn' some bad fundamentals (My grip, stance and gun manipulation techniques were wrong, wrong, wrong). Unless you have some top-notch guy at your club who is capable of teaching you the fundamentals correctly (and is able and willing to do so - and you will not find many of these) you WILL be teaching yourself bad habits.

User

BigT since it seems you are the go to guy in relation to training up North do you have any recommendation for someone offering proper training in or around Cape Town.

Worse than learning bad habits yourself is probably paying someone to teach you bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    I agree that sport shooting is just that, but I also want to bet you that he average sport shooter who participate fairly regularly has better gun handling skills than the average person who attended a training course two.

I am talking about regular exposure to shooting ... if you go the training route then you must do it regularly to off-set the advantage competitive shooting will give you.

I honestly believe that for the average man or woman on the street carrying for protection regular (as in weekly) shooting is key regardless of whether it is sport or training.
    Depends on the amount of "Dry Fire" training they do at home and how much training they do on their own

I've done training with people that haven't one a single day's sport shooting and some (most of the serious ones) will easily out shoot most avg sport shooters in all areas from stoppage clear, reloads and shooting.

If you shoot sport and just do it for the sake of shooting you won't learn nearly as much as you think, you have to push make mistakes and learn from them

But you won't necessarily be getting in the best repetitions in if your technique is lacking to begin with. I've seen enough guys who've become exceptionally well versed at bad technique that in pretty confident about that. Hence training to learn new skills and competition as an opportunity to get them internalized.
    Mmmmm, I just realised that we were not on the same page. When I talk about sport shooting I assumed that the person would attend a training course that is presented by the sport shooting institution and that would address the fundamentals you are talking baout. I fully agree that without such training it is going to be a long and expensive road to get to the correct thechnique. In that regard, yes, training always first and then competition.

The training I was referring to was tactical training ... as far as I am concerned that would only come after you have become proficient with you basic firearm handling skills. Tactics is also somtehing you could practice every day and everywhere without neccesarily using a firearm. The two could be done in conjunction but effective use of a firearm in a self-defence situation would almost always rest more heavily on general handling skills than tactics at the moment of truth.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    BigT since it seems you are the go to guy in relation to training up North do you have any recommendation for someone offering proper training in or around Cape Town.

Worse than learning bad habits yourself is probably paying someone to teach you bad habits.
    BigT does train in Cape Town every now and again.

There are a few hopefulls eagerly awaiting his presence in the next few months.

*poke* *poke*

User

I do not like golf but it is a similar situation.

Get someone to show you what the correct techniques are and then play the sport - you will be better off that way.

Go back to the pro every now and again to keep you on the right track.

Do both - training and sport shooting.

Here is a very valuable article (actually a series of 4) that you can read for good information on the value of sport shooring - this is Part IV of the series, with a bit of work you can find Parts I to III : http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=7384

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast