Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Training vs Sport shooting (IDPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Here is a very valuable article (actually a series of 4) that you can read for good information on the value of sport shooring - this is Part IV of the series, with a bit of work you can find Parts I to III : http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=7384
    Because I am feeling generous and I thought it was an excellent series of articles:
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

User

Thank bawrakza - this thread is now a Sticky.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistix View Post
    Mmmmm, I just realized that we were not on the same page. When I talk about sport shooting I assumed that the person would attend a training course that is presented by the sport shooting institution and that would address the fundamentals you are talking about. I fully agree that without such training it is going to be a long and expensive road to get to the correct technique. In that regard, yes, training always first and then competition.

The training I was referring to was tactical training ... as far as I am concerned that would only come after you have become proficient with you basic firearm handling skills. Tactics is also somtehing you could practice every day and everywhere without neccesarily using a firearm. The two could be done in conjunction but effective use of a firearm in a self-defence situation would almost always rest more heavily on general handling skills than tactics at the moment of truth.

I do see we where talking cross purposes. IDPA doesn't offer training as a whole, some clubs may but I haven't seen that. The guy does an NSO he's GTG. I know many IPSC clubs are similar. Clubs that do train the guys are doing a good thing assuming the guys running that side know both how to shoot and how to train.

I agree that far too many guys want to do "jumping out of helicopters and assualt fortified position" training when what the should be doing is learning how to shoot a group. Or how to draw without injuring themselves.

"Do both - training and sport shooting."

Wise words^^^

I would submit that you CAN do both. Start with a pro...the pro can and will get you started down the right road with far fewer problems to try and unlearn. Also, you will never see the average shooter (sport OR tactical) work on the things they are NOT good at...doesn't happen without a good trainer.

I think what OP means (hopefully) is that he cannot afford both the time and funds to do both immediately. Going with a couple of classes using a pro along with structured practice is a no-brainer for your first steps...then start with sports shooting.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I've learned allot from the top shooters at our club. They are always very helpful and more than willing to help.
    Learn the basics(like grip, stance, sight picture, trigger control, target acquisition and transitions etc.) from them and practice those basics till they become second nature.

User

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Really helped to narrow down my decision. I will take all answers into consideration.

But seems like training will be the best bet at first.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4