Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Let's talk torches

I could never see the need for carrying a light with me..... until I started doing so and realised it (along with my knife) puts the "ED" in EDC from a daily usability viewpoint. I've used mine countless times in bright sunlight to peer into small dark holes (for JS4's sake (!) I need to qualify that by adding that checking that holes in machined parts are drilled deep enough and properly threaded makes up a far more significant part of my job than I ever thought it would...)

My EDC light used to be a S&W M&P branded PowerTech light. Single-cell CR123, 86 Lumens and I'll freely admit I bought it for the branding. It turned out to be a really nice light, fits comfortably in your hand (it's an M&P after all!), and small enough for comfy pocket carry. It's major flaw is it's "trigger" (and here I can hear some of you say "it's an M&P after all"...!) The button function is all back-asswards: no momentary on, you gotta click it on, and then you can press it slightly for momentary off! Probably designed by an industrial marketing consultant... I could still live with that (just needed some muscle memory) but the fatal flaw is that the "on-click" is really easy, and when sitting the button pushed against my belt, which led to a few occasions of "hot glowing pocket". Apart from the obvious discomfort and embarrassment (when you walk into company and you get those "what's going on in your pants?" looks... which I could also still deal with, as I'm an engineer and we're used to people looking at us strangely, muttering and shaking their heads...) this had the more serious effect of very quickly running down the battery. After the third time this happenned I decided the light, as it is, is not suitable for my EDC need.

I then switched to a Streamlight MicroStream, which I bought at the same time as the SWMP, with the original intention to keep in the car. 1xAAA, something like 20 Lumens iirc. This is the singularly most useful light I own. Apart from brightness, it's got all the advantages of the SWMP and none of the disadvantages. It's got a very clever S-shaped clip that allows you to slide it onto your peak cap, from where it functions as a head lamp. I've used it in this manner a lot, when crawling around my roof, installing cctv cameras and wires.

Lastly, I have an O-light i6 Paladin on my bedside table. 2x CR123, 400/80 lumens (selectable by rotating the front bezel). This gets used when the neighbours' dogs sound upset, on NW patrols, and as my general bump-in-the-night light.

At some point I'll invest in an Inforce APL for my M&P VTAC....

:- P

User

I have a small LedLenser K3 on my car keyring, and then we have 2 P7's that do duty at home.

I put rechargeable AAA's in the P7's - think it works out a bit cheaper in the long run, as the price of batteries are shocking these days! (Pun not intended)

User

Led lenser k2 on car keys, led lenser t5 on edc bag. Fenix tk21 in a niteize adjustable sheath on my belt bezel up. Petzl tikka xp in cubby of car. Fenix hp10 in edc bag.

Going to buy led lenser F1 soon very small (fits into my palm) and gives around 400lumens.

Because its winter now and light changes I've added a led lenser p3 on mu person as a small back up light.

User

Streamlight microstream clipped onto my left pocket all day, everyday.

Streamlight polytac, Fenix pd30 and olight i6 full other roles.

Inforce APL on either of my glocks, Inforce WML on my AR/AK.

Hopefully I'll buy another polytac

User

I've been carrying a torch since the 6P incandescent with its "blinding" 60 lumens and 15 minute run time. As others have said once you go light you never go back. It is just too useful for every day use like checking cinema seats or under restaurant tables for dropped items.

My 6P got stolen a couple of times :) I now have a various number of G2 Surefire lights, all with LED conversions. A couple have TNVC drop in units, my 9P has a TNVC turbo head. My E2D also has a TNVC replacement head. The drop in and replacèment units produce 200 lumens with hours of runtime while the turbo head produces 700 lumens. These are used variously as weapon lights or house hold lights.

My daily carry light is a Klarus ST2C. At 800+ lumens with 2 hours run time it is a great light. I don't know the real out the front or useable ammount of light. It is bright. Decent sized hotspot with quite a marked drop off to the corona, but it still has plenty of light in it. The user interface is great. The tail clicky is recessed to prevent accidental activation and it is click on with momentary. It has a side switch which allows you to change the output. If you let it run in that mode for more than 3 seconds it will default to that output. Don't forget to change it back to the high setting for default. No matter the output selected, double clicking the side switch turns it on to high with strobe effect instantly.

I don't care much for strobe features but I like this user interface. The tail switch does on/off. That is the way to go IMHO.

My pistol wears a small WML 24/7 365. It isnt the brightest light ever and is a serious SHTF light. But a WML does not exclude a handheld and a handheld does not exclude a WML.

User

I have a fenix ld20 in my left pocket next to my leatherman. I also found I use the thing much more than I thought I would. Head lamp in the car. I converted after I broke down on the high way one eve when I did not expect to be out at night. It forms a permanent part of my edc gear now. O yea also love the fa t that it os waterproof. Since I work alot I aquariums it helps to dunk the thing in aquariums to look for small things in and around coral reefs.

User

I never used to have lights, but i've since developed a little fetish.

Maglite next to my bed, which can double as a nice batton should the need arise. Glock GTL10 on my G22, Surefire G2X Tactical on my long gun and a Led Lenser F1 for round and about.

User

SRT3 on me at all times, 10+ year old Surefire G2 in my bag.

User

What is you okes opinion on LED Lenser? Was browsing at CUM today they had this small model the size of my thumb with 400lm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    What is you okes opinion on LED Lenser? Was browsing at CUM today they had this small model the size of my thumb with 400lm.
    Would that be the F1 model? Also been looking at it

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast