Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Let's talk torches

Quote Originally Posted by Knoffel View Post
    I think it comes down to this.... in terms of torches, knives, handguns.... there is no one item that does it all. Sure, some are decent compromises, but my take:
    i think it was BigT in another thread on caliber but I could be wrong but the jist was that every tool has it's compromise in some or other way. It's virtually impossible to carry every perfect tool for every perfect situation. Hence we edc handguns and not rifles!

hopefully though with enough forethought we can predict the most likely time a particular tool will be necessary and useful.

This is was my main reasoning for buying a very small torch which I know I will edc. I was NEVER carrying my bigger torch, what good was it then? Am I glad I have a 1000LM large torch for around the house? Definitely! Do I want a 3000LM monster still? Most definitely!

User

I'm happy with the Led Lenser F1 so far. I think it is very good value for money and doesn't break the bank.

User

I carry the Olight S10 Baton (400lum) in my pocket all the time as well as a P2X Fury (500lum) in my bag/car.

I have a bank of 3D cell maglites with LED conversion around the house for everyday/night use that we all use.

For patrol and security I use one of two LED Lenser M14's that I'm happy with. Good bang for the buck and has a nice heft.
    If we leave the property we generally take one with us.

Also have wind-up torches in outbuildings, vehicle and given to staff.

My reasoning is to buy mulitple of the same type of torch (goes for anything really) so you can cannibalise if needed.

No WML lights yet, but that is in my near future.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I'm happy with the Led Lenser F1 so far. I think it is very good value for money and doesn't break the bank.
    May I ask what you paid for it please, I see they are available from CUM at around R675. I really fancy this little guy.

User

STL-900L WML on my SIG at night, only 130 lumens, but backed up with my TM26 with a hefty 3500 lumens. I need to get a suitable EDC light as the TM26 is for home/camping use only. I'm not going to carry that around e.g. in my PC backpack on a regular basis.

User

3 D cell Maglite with my own "super bright LED" conversion, Christmas gift from father when I was still in primary school. Have been going strong for 20 years. Have been dropped and submerged for 10min+ in shallow sea water twice.

Couple of those 2 AA Energizer head lamps for work in the roof or in cupboards etc.

Small 3 LED, 3 AA aluminium no name torch in the car, got as corporate gift few years ago. Coincidentally fits perfectly in the change holder in my car. Not great quality but fine as backup.

Will be looking at a EDC tactical light shortly but will not go with LED lenser, out of the 4 owned by family members 2 are presenting with connection and switch problems after a year or 2 of use. Rather pay bit more for something rock solid.

The perfect EDC tool IMHO is a Leatherman Micra, attached to my keys it is the single most useful and used tool in my collection. The only screwdriver attachments (3 in total) I found to work everywhere in a pinch. Even on the super small screws found on glasses. Its blade is super strong and like a razor blade except it doesn't go blunt, used it everything for gutting fish when by diving knife got lost in a big wave to opening tins when I forgot my Victorinox at home. Scissors strong enough to cut and strip electronic wire. Tweezers actually work and can not get lost. Again Birthday present from my late father, bought 15 years ago (still has patent pending on it and not a number) never needed sharpening or repair

User

I almost have as many torches as I do guns.
    The ones that stand out are...

1. Elzetta ZFL-M60 as my main bedside light for when things go bump in the night. (Backup is Surefire C2 or 6P defender with Malkoff)
    2. Streamlight Stylus Pro in my shirt pocket dressed for work (or microstream that stopped working after a few years of abuse)
    3. Fenix TK-20 for camping and outdoors, toughest simple 2xAA light with good tint and throw.
    4. Fenix E01 on a keychain (Or Leatherman S1 same head) , or iTP A3 all hanging on keys or security badge lanyards.
    5. Zebralight H600 headlamp for camping
    6. Zebralight H501w for task lighting
    7. 4Sevens titanium Preon 1 with Preon 2 titanium clicky. Just because. Man jewelery
    8. Streamlight TLR-3 on my bedside pistol

I have various other models from iTP, Olight, Nitecore, 4Sevens, LED Lenser, Surefire, Fenix, and a few lesser chinese brands that I use from time to time but the ones listed are my "go to" lights.

LED Lenser lights are like Taurus guns.... They are too expensive for what they actually are. Get the L (lightweight plastic) versions for putting them in the "right" price and performance bracket.

User

Led Lenser P3 on keychain. I don't know if I got a dud from the factory, but it is a POS. To put it on, you have to press the button and then whack it a couple of times in order for it to work. It runs at the advertised 75 Lumens for about 3 seconds with a new AAA battery and then goes to about half that for the rest of the time. The flood and spot feature is about the only thing that works properly.

Then I have an O-Light S80 Baton. This still works is it is supposed to, but it has not seen a lot of hard use. Only really when camping and checking my yard at night before bed. Let's call it my nightstand torch.

User

I don't carry a flashlight on me. I have one in the cubby hole in each of my two cars though. So far that were all that I ever needed.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast