Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Sleeping Bag for Drakensberg winter hiking

I'm probably going hiking in the drakensberg in June and this will be my first mid winter hike. I've done a few multi day hikes in Autumn and Spring, so I know what is involved, and that it can get bloody cold.

Can you recommend any good sleeping bags, besides the obvious First Ascent Ice Breaker. I borowed on for a hike last year and it was awesome, but is there anything else thats a bit cheaper. Maybe something that can be imported from the US/UK/Europe?

Banned

Default Re: Sleeping Bag for Drakensberg winter hiking

Don't know the sleeping bags, but without a good isolating mattress you'll be half frozen in the mornings.

User

PesVis, I cannot see you being able to import something equally good for significantly cheaper than what you can buy here, unless someone you know brings it back when they go there.

But then I'd be really paranoid about them buying the right spec sleeping bag. Why? Because it could mean the difference between life and death, that's why.

If bulk isn't that much of a concern you could go for a hollow fibre bag, but a down bag will always be warmer, pound for pound, not to mention that it will also be lighter (and more expensive). Just bear in mind that a wet down bag is useless. Hollow fibre, on the other hand, still performs when wet.

I have a hollow-fibre bag from these guys http://www.carinthia.eu/ but I got it for free, courtesy of my job.

Great products - if you could find it.

User

I've been using a K-way self inflating matress for the past few hikes and it has worked very well. Makes a hell of a difference when the ground is less than flat

User

First Ascent are great brands, I would recommend the Ice Breaker or the Fusion 900. You won't be cold

Adding to what DS J said include a Inflatable matteress preferably ultra light or the minimalist (also First Ascent).

Wez

Benedorm 3 season.

Hate packing it back into it bag!
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I don't know exactly what bag you need but I know that hiking in the Berg proper (as opposed to the foothills) can cost you your life if you're not properly prepared and you don't know what you're doing. A sleeping bag is only one of your worries. You can get seriously snowed in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    I don't know exactly what bag you need but I know that hiking in the Berg proper (as opposed to the foothills) can cost you your life if you're not properly prepared and you don't know what you're doing. A sleeping bag is only one of your worries. You can get seriously snowed in.
    The friend I usually hike with has done the Berg dozens of times, a lot of that in winter with the Mountain Club of South Africa. I am not at the point where I can lead hikes myself, but I have done it enough to be very aware of the dangers and how to prepare for them.

It's usualy quite entertaining to watch when my friend tells all the new/inexperienced hikers to dump the contents of their packs for inspection. Usually he then throws out a few kilos of unnecessary stuff and makes sure they have enough water and warm clothes.

User

I did a few hikes up there in the snow a good few years back - conditions are extreme when the wind howls!
    Suggestion - let someone carry a handgun. We once had trouble with a bunch of Lesotho poachers and their dogs. Just showing the pistol ended the problem.

User

Just bought a Tentco Bundu Sleeping Bag yesterday. 1m wide (yes, 1m!), 2.2m long, -5deg rating, R399.00, can't beat it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast