Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Mounting: Larue vs Aimpoint Magnifier Mount

Hi guys,

Just bought an Aimpoint PRO (opinions?) and Aimpoint 3x magnifier, I'm looking at mounting options. I'm looking at setting up the rifle for DMG and I'd also like to try my hand at IPSC some time. As I've never shot either, I'd like to buy once and not change later, hence this post.

From my limited research it seems that there are two main magnifier mounts nl. The Larue flip to side mount and Aimpoint twist mount. What will be better for said type of shooting? I don't mind taking off the whole magnifier if the stages perhaps are one for CQB and one for longer ranges, but can forsee problems if there are targets at 7m and then at 100m, as I say, I've shot either discipline.

What are your suggestions, also what kind of money am I looking for each of the mounts..?

Default Re: Mounting: Larue vs Aimpoint Magnifier Mount

I've got a couple LaRue mounts, they are superb, but can't comment on either of these specific mounts.

LaRue stuff is generally quite hard to get hold of.

With regards the Aimpoint PRO, I like Aimpoint. I have a ML2, similar to the PRO and while I might prefer the T1 / H1, my father prefers the larger diameter glass on ML2 and finds it easier to pick the dot up. So I suppose it depends on how it works for you, but I do like Aimpoint products.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelrp View Post
    Hi guys,

Just bought an Aimpoint PRO (opinions?) and Aimpoint 3x magnifier, I'm looking at mounting options. I'm looking at setting up the rifle for DMG and I'd also like to try my hand at IPSC some time. As I've never shot either, I'd like to buy once and not change later, hence this post.

From my limited research it seems that there are two main magnifier mounts nl. The Larue flip to side mount and Aimpoint twist mount. What will be better for said type of shooting? I don't mind taking off the whole magnifier if the stages perhaps are one for CQB and one for longer ranges, but can forsee problems if there are targets at 7m and then at 100m, as I say, I've shot either discipline.

What are your suggestions, also what kind of money am I looking for each of the mounts..?
    Awesome set up. Cant comment on the mounts but as I'm sure you know you can't go wrong with Aimpoint

User

Craige, how did you manage to get hold of your LaRue mounts?

Anyone else with opinions on the different mounting options? Is there something else I should be considering?

I have multiple LaRue mounts on different optics from a T1 and Eotech to 1-4x24 to a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20. As you can see I will use nothing else!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grail View Post
    I have multiple LaRue mounts on different optics from a T1 and Eotech to 1-4x24 to a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20. As you can see I will use nothing else!
    Where'd you get the mounts, and what price range am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelrp View Post
    Where'd you get the mounts, and what price range am I looking at?
    I have a line out of the US, prices range depending on your requirement, factor in shipping , customs, VAT and it also depends on how many items we bring in to bring cost down.

If you want something PM me!

User

Thanks grail, if there's no importer i'll give it a bash and if i can't get the stuff I'll drop you a mail. Seems like not many guys run my setup...

User

I have an Aimpoint Magnifier on a twist off mount and an Eotech Magnifier with a side flip mount.

Imo the side flip mount set-up is faster if you intend to use a magnifier in a stage (in a match) where you would want to shoot with and without the maginifier for close and long shots. You need much less manipulation and no stowing of the magnifier is needed.

If you can shoot whole stages with or without the magnifier it is not going to make much of a difference.

Take into consideration that you can make good hits on targets with the Aimpoint with a 2moa dot out to 150 meters (and even 200 meters) if you have the right zero dialed in and with a steady base like prone and mag on the ground type stability. For DMG matches you will 99.99% of the time not need a magnifier. For IPSC rifle matches a 1-4 or 1-6 scope (with true 1x magnification) may be a better choice than an Aimpoint with Magnifier. For the IPSC 3Gun club shoots I have participated in I did not need a magnifier.

User

Thanks for the descriptive answer, Khumba. Sounds like it's a handy mount to have and since I have the magnifier and don't particularly want to stow it every time I want no magnification I think the LaRue flip-to-side mount is going to work for me. Makes the most sense for what I want to use the rifle for

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast