Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Rjowen0984 View Post
    The reason I would probably recommend s30v as the minimum standard is that steels like aus8 or 8cr13 or similar lose their edge sooooooo quickly! While steels like m390 s90v or some of the better carbon steels might be very hard and therefore virtually impossible for the average user to sharpen properly without some decent stones they do keep a working useable edge(IMHO) for long enough to justify the effort of finding someone to assist sharpening them. After a day or 2 use with cheaper steels I find it beyond frustrating how blunt they become so quickly. Maybe other people tolerance for blunt knives are more than mine though?;-)
    Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. What do you do to blunten your knives so quickly ? Do you recommend 154 CM because it is easier to sharpen fo an EDC ? tims

User

Default Re: Looking for a first-time EDC

154cm is usually somewhat cheaper, so if it's an EDC knife that you may abuse (as some do) it's less painful to replace. I hear it is easier to sharpen, but in don't know as I don't sharpen my own.

User

There are some tricks to using a Lansky more effectively.
    Best tip is to use a permanent marker on the cutting edge, so you can see where you're strokes are grinding. Tape the blade's back to prevent scratching it with the clamp. I also mark the back edge, so that I know where the clamp was positioned when I last sharpened it. When you stroke, keep in mind that the rods are a guide. Don't put pressure on the rod, but rather on the stone.
    Combine those things, and it works like a charm. I only Lansky my blades once a year, while on hunting trip. Otherwise I would have no social life.

User

Yip Lansky works esp with the clamp stand. Everyday keen edge and also when I'm slaughtering I use a Smiths sharpener.R50 and fits in the pocket

User

To the OP , welcome to the knife world it's down hill from here .... the Endura is an excellent first choice , now go look at the PM2 dare I say almost , ALMOST the perfect EDC ... for office carry look at the Sage series as well , nice deep carry wire clip. I'm fortunate that I work in the security industry so the sheeple around me are used to okes walking around with semi-autos etc , still get weird looks when I take out my PM to cut something ... weird ... anyway I digress ...

The Lansky is a good option for us mere mortals , personally I use a combination of a DMT Diafold Coarse/Fine (for field touch ups) and a Sharpmaker (finally bit the bullet and brought in some diamond stones as well for re-profiling). For the serious sharpeners there's the Edge Pro , Wicked Edge etc but too expensive for my utilization. You can always make your own DIY strop (plenty of resources on the net) , hell you can even use a leather belt or denim.

Also in PTA area so if you ever need a touch up on the Endura I'll be more than willing to help :)

User

I can't use a Lansky, I have one that came with 3 stones, a stand and a clamp effort that doesn't clamp for shit. Also has the 3 rods and some oil with it I bought croc sticks (think thats the name) they lie in my study. Anyone have any links to good videos about how to use them properly?

User

Endura = cheap
    Warthog = easy

Why, because life.

Who cares about scratches on a basic working knife like a Spyderco. I pull it through a warthog and it hold a good edge till I do it again next week. Its not high on my priority list but that may be a different situation for a knife addict with time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. What do you do to blunten your knives so quickly ? Do you recommend 154 CM because it is easier to sharpen fo an EDC ? tims
    i use edge pro sharpening set with Chosera Japanese water stones and like my edges to scare me! For me when my knife doesn't push cut paper cleanly it's blunt so I'm slightly obsessive! When I cut myself by accident I mustn't realize it, the blood must start pouring and then the swearing starts! I find I cut myself the most when washing my knives, maybe because then I've relaxed and not focusing ona task!

i find 154cm to be better than s30v in both sharpening ease and edge retention but I suspect that it may be that the mass produced s30v knives are not heat treated properly therefore not reaching s30v actual potential.

User

Getting back to the OP:

I think most of the spyderco and benchmade knives would be something worth recommending as an edc. Even the cheaper steel knives are made to a higher standard than manufacturers like Kershaw and others(oh crap hope I didn't open a can of worms there!).

for sharpening the entry level spyderco sharpmaker would be my recommendation. In terms of price and quality it is a step above most others. The Lansky can work but there are various tricks needed to keep it working properly. Some other posters were spot on with sharpie trick to check blade contact.

User

Quote Originally Posted by krobar View Post
    There are some tricks to using a Lansky more effectively.
    Best tip is to use a permanent marker on the cutting edge, so you can see where you're strokes are grinding. Tape the blade's back to prevent scratching it with the clamp. I also mark the back edge, so that I know where the clamp was positioned when I last sharpened it. When you stroke, keep in mind that the rods are a guide. Don't put pressure on the rod, but rather on the stone.
    Combine those things, and it works like a charm. I only Lansky my blades once a year, while on hunting trip. Otherwise I would have no social life.
    The trick with the permanent marker is something all sharpening systems should do. It is a extremely accurate way of checking stone contact on blade edge. Even with my edge pro which is VERY accurate with stone angles I still use the sharpie trick. I would suggest all people who sharpen there own knives to use this trick!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6