User

Default Any Experiences with Roodepoort Firearms application?

Hey Chaps

Does any one in Gunsite land have any experience with the Roodepoort Firearms DEPT?

User

Hi, sorry, just joined, old post I know, but seeing as no one replied I thought I would.

I have relicenced an existing firearm and licenced a new firearm at Roodepoort. They were very helpful. i also didnt go there with an attitude. Both were successful, with one funny detail. My sport gun G20) is licenced under SD and my carry gun (Rap401) is licenced under occasional sport shooting. Apparrently your first gun goes under SD no matter what. Only choice was then Sport for the 2nd. I was advised by the DFO to change the catagory of my carry (RAP401) gun to sport shooting or it would be declined. I did this an the licence was approved. Strange and Im sure not correct, but I got my licence.

User

Default Very slow

I handed my new application in there. It took 5 months before the DFO sent my stuff away. And that with me hounding them every week... It was my application' s birthday last week, i phoned the call centre and asked how he was: I was told to wait another 6 months and then phone again.

User

Phone again and ask where in the system it is. They can check and tell you exactly where it is. And if there is a problem. ie. photos, fingerprints ect.

User

They tend to be good, I have had very little grief for the "few" I have done - renewals and new applications.

Ze'wife has not been so lucky however, relicensed in March 2006 - competency not issued yet and it has still not left the DFO offices... so much for efficient relicensing.
    What is interesting though is that the second license on this gun has been approved to me more than a year ago - can they refuse hers now????????

B3

User

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    Hey Chaps

Does any one in Gunsite land have any experience with the Roodepoort Firearms DEPT?
    They SUCK!! Not personal experience, two friends applied for their SD licenses at Roodepoort.
    First mate's license & competency took 2 years to be issued. Second mate applied in April 2007 and has just had his competency approved and issued, still waiting for his license.
    Bloody useless!

User

Wow, that is weird one. As far as I understand, the licences are indidual, so they could turn it down. But, I assume the purpose of the whole thing is to discourage spouses from aquiring their own seperate guns. Thus they have no reason to refuse her licence since the gun is already in "circulation", as they put it.

User

Brendan - distinguish if new or renewal applications pls. If renewals I think that is true all over the show.

I had both renewal and new with them and mine went OK.

Perhaps it is because I only met you after the last hand-ins????????? Damn, and I have three in prep to go now.............

B3

User

Quote Originally Posted by B3 View Post
    Brendan - distinguish if new or renewal applications pls. If renewals I think that is true all over the show.

I had both renewal and new with them and mine went OK.

Perhaps it is because I only met you after the last hand-ins????????? Damn, and I have three in prep to go now.............

B3
    Both were new SD applications Christo. Both of them were bounced from pillar to post regarding their apps and the progress thereof, general attitude of disinterest from Roodepoort DFO.

My Hand gun took 3 years from day one, took roodepoort 2 years to do their part and sent it off to PTA

I never followed up the first year.

My rifle I applied on 16 Oct 2009 and it is now sitting with the finger prints in PTA
    Safe inspection done 2 weeks after I handed my application in. I phoned after the first week.

and now I phone PTA twice a week.