Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sleeping Bag for Drakensberg winter hiking

Did the Mini traverse from Sentinel to Cathedral peak hotel 3 times in winter, and it is a jol if you are well prepared. First Ascent ice breaker sleeping bag and isodome tent. Please note that the sleeping bag will NOT keep you warm throughout the night, even with fleese layering clothes on. It will however ensure that you survive 5 nights intact without loosing any necessary body parts.

As to weight in your pack, take at most one extra set of clothes, and stock up on food and fuel. The benefit of winter Burg hiking is that there is snow all around, and water is therefore not a problem

Regards

Stefan

Buy the best kit you can get as your life may depend on it as others have said. Down sleeping bags and jackets are great until they get wet so know about their limitations.

A hunting buddy's wife died in the Outshoorn mountains during a school outing she was part of when they got caught in some ice rain during winter. Down jacket got wet and she died from exposure during the night. Don't underestimate nature! Most modern synthetic fibers will keep you warm when wet but choose wisely. Many salesmen also don't know squat so shop with caution.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Don't know the sleeping bags, but without a good isolating mattress you'll be half frozen in the mornings.
    This is vital. In all my years as a student and for a while thereafter, I used a little closed-cell foam "gaper mat" we called them. I now have what the "old ballies" had in those days, namely a Thermarest "inflatable" mattress. It is self inflating because of the foam inside it. Close a valve and it is as though you had inflated it. However, NEVER blow into it to inflate it as the moisture will cause untold vrotness and mold inside the mattress. Some people have a little pump thingy, but it's not necessary once the foam expands itself.

I also have a First Ascent Icebreaker now, but have not used it in cold conditions yet. I bought it for a European mountain trip and it wasn't required. I'm a little concerned that Stefan says it is not quite warm enough. I also have a "Thermalator" inner for the bag which I plan to take when I do Mt Kenya. Hopefully those two layers plus thermal underwear will be good enough.

Water is your enemy with down as has been repeatedly mentioned. Make sure your backpack has a STURDY plastic liner if you are going to be in rainy conditions. Somehow the flimsy little rain covers don't always work 100%.

User

I also have a Benedorm 3 seasons, still use it after about 20 years (mine is still with the white'ish inner material, not very practical). To make it last you never store your sleeping bag compressed, leave it lying on top of other things inside a cupboard. The trick to bag it is not to roll it up but go down on 1 knee, sleeping bag over shoulder and then just stuff it into the stuff'bag. QUOTE=camouflage762;652657]Benedorm 3 season.

Hate packing it back into it bag![/QUOTE]

Try the Amplify 1800 from First Ascent, with a Thermalite Travel sheet- should keep you alive and cheaper than the Ice Breaker.
    Synthetic materials, so no down issues.
    Thermals are a must though, and something to keep the wind off.
    The Ice Breaker is a quality bag though, if you can swing the tin.
    M2C

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    I did a few hikes up there in the snow a good few years back - conditions are extreme when the wind howls!
    Suggestion - let someone carry a handgun. We once had trouble with a bunch of Lesotho poachers and their dogs. Just showing the pistol ended the problem.
    I always carry one up there.

Quote Originally Posted by PesVis View Post
    The friend I usually hike with has done the Berg dozens of times, a lot of that in winter with the Mountain Club of South Africa. I am not at the point where I can lead hikes myself, but I have done it enough to be very aware of the dangers and how to prepare for them.

It's usualy quite entertaining to watch when my friend tells all the new/inexperienced hikers to dump the contents of their packs for inspection. Usually he then throws out a few kilos of unnecessary stuff and makes sure they have enough water and warm clothes.
    Excellent! On both points.

User

Think about 'sizing up' your sleeping bag...depending if you're a warm or cold sleeper of course.
    If considering an Ice Breaker, also look at the Ice Wolf (not sure if it's still that name) which is a -15' bag.
    You can get cooler in a 'hot bag', but getting warmer in a 'cold bag' is not easy.

Bear in mind that nutrition & hydration play equally important roles in keeping warm...blood flow is another...too many layers of clothing may restrict blood flow to areas in your body, which will make them cold - even though you've got many layers on.

An inner sheet also works wonders...could get away with colder bag, but with fleece liner the rating would go up.

Cape Storm, North face, Mountain Hardwear etc...any decent 'mountain' brand will have good kit.
    Try 'mountain mail order' on www for options to order in.

Hope that helps ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Don't know the sleeping bags, but without a good isolating mattress you'll be half frozen in the mornings.
    I've slept at -15 deg C with a 500 loft bag and a good thermarest mattress. If I did it again, I'd take a 800 loft in those conditions.

User

I have a US army modular sleep system that I bought in the UK, at the time it worked out to around just over 2k for the bag, you can pick them up on ebay for around $100 now.
    It’s a 3 piece system that includes an outer hot weather bag, inner cold weather bag and a bivy bag to top it off.
    Everything can be used separately but for maximum warmth you clip all three bags together giving the bag a minimum temperature rating of -34 degrees celsius which I think is a bit overrated.
    Ive sleept outside a couple of times during winter well below zero covered in frost and woke up warm and toasty everytime.

Review
    http://www.blackscoutsurvival.com/20...em-review.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast