Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 150gr Game Kings on antelope

Quote Originally Posted by caverock View Post
    I had a thought.
    I think there is a thread some where here that says that the Sierra bullets don't like hitting game at fast speeds.

But as usual I stand to be corrected.
    Possible, but no soft point bullet if not other bullets want to hit a buck at high speed otherwise it breaks up, causes maximum damage and lots of tissue damage.

My rifle groups at 2860 f/s with the game kings. So the 150 gr go out with some speed which may cause some serious bruising.

User

Why not try the Frontier Spartans?
    I also believe that Rhino has a new bullet out that will work. Don't know what it's called though
    A roaring Lion kills no game

The spartans only cost R2 less than the GS bullets. But I can shoot the customs much faster. Was able to get some from sabati arms.

User

264. You don't mention the distances you intend shooting at. All the reports from persons who have posted have indicated that the Gameking gives unacceptable meat damage yet they also fail to state what distances the animals where shot at. It's no secret that a conventional bullet launched at high speed will create meat damage simply because the impact velocity is too high for the construction of the bullet. If you intend to shoot at high MV at short range use a bonded bullet or a mono to reduce meat damage. If you intend to shoot these animals at 250 meters plus then use a bullet that will give satisfactory performance in terms of mushrooming and penetration at these longer distances. In most cases you will find that conventional bullets perform well at the longer distances cause they have had time to slow down and don't over expand and shatter into tiny pieces. In other words match your bullet choice to your impact velocity and don't over concern your self with MV. Rather concentrate on impact velocity. 2 cases in point: (1) I load my 243 with a 100 grain Sierra pro-hunter behind S335 propellant using a Dacron filler to achieve 2460MV (effectively duplicating 6x45 ballistics). This combination makes for a very reliable small to medium game killer out to 150 meters with very little meat damage. (2) a fellow SAHGCA member regularly shoots BWB with his 6.5 x 55 using 140 grain Gamekings at 2670 fps. He very seldom shoots at distances less than 200 meters and by then the bullet has slowed down sufficiently to kill these animals very reliabily without excessive meat damage. I have personally seen him shoot 6 BWB. The one which survived the longest ran for about 50 meters and fell over very dead. 3 of which died were they where hit. I trust you understand my point.

User

On the impala is shot with the 180gn lead tip GK's I hit the leg bone , the impala was 80m away and I had a MV of 2420f/s, the bullet broke up and did not reach the vitals. I have taken the same shot at +- the same distance with 150gn hornady interlock's at 2780f/s and did not have half the meat damage and the bullet exited the other side. I will accept meat damage when hitting a big bone. What I will not accept is that the bullet did not reach the vitals. Use it, don't use it.

Banned

Compare the cutout photos of all the available bullet types in the different brands. Sierra Game King and Berger have the thinnest copper jackets which results in the least material to keep the bullets together on impact. Given the same speed and impact material it is only logic that a bullet with more/thicker copper will give better terminal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    264. You don't mention the distances you intend shooting at. All the reports from persons who have posted have indicated that the Gameking gives unacceptable meat damage yet they also fail to state what distances the animals where shot at. It's no secret that a conventional bullet launched at high speed will create meat damage simply because the impact velocity is too high for the construction of the bullet. If you intend to shoot at high MV at short range use a bonded bullet or a mono to reduce meat damage. If you intend to shoot these animals at 250 meters plus then use a bullet that will give satisfactory performance in terms of mushrooming and penetration at these longer distances. In most cases you will find that conventional bullets perform well at the longer distances cause they have had time to slow down and don't over expand and shatter into tiny pieces. In other words match your bullet choice to your impact velocity and don't over concern your self with MV. Rather concentrate on impact velocity. 2 cases in point: (1) I load my 243 with a 100 grain Sierra pro-hunter behind S335 propellant using a Dacron filler to achieve 2460MV (effectively duplicating 6x45 ballistics). This combination makes for a very reliable small to medium game killer out to 150 meters with very little meat damage. (2) a fellow SAHGCA member regularly shoots BWB with his 6.5 x 55 using 140 grain Gamekings at 2670 fps. He very seldom shoots at distances less than 200 meters and by then the bullet has slowed down sufficiently to kill these animals very reliabily without excessive meat damage. I have personally seen him shoot 6 BWB. The one which survived the longest ran for about 50 meters and fell over very dead. 3 of which died were they where hit. I trust you understand my point.
    Appologies for leaving that out. We will be hunting in the Hoedspruit area where shots are seldom further than 100m. That is why I asked the question. If I am going hunting in the freestate where shots at 200 m are the norm the game kings should work very nicely.

I also load the 150gr Rhinos in my 264 Win Mag at 2700 f/s and have good success on Gemsbuck and springbuck.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Appologies for leaving that out. We will be hunting in the Hoedspruit area where shots are seldom further than 100m. That is why I asked the question. If I am going hunting in the freestate where shots at 200 m are the norm the game kings should work very nicely.

I also load the 150gr Rhinos in my 264 Win Mag at 2700 f/s and have good success on Gemsbuck and springbuck.

Thanks for the reply.
    In your case I would not use the Gamekings as they will probably break up and either cause major meat damage or possibly disintegrate before they reach the vitals especially on the BWB. At the distances you mention I would use a mono or a bonded bullet.

User

I use 180 grain SAKO SHH in my 30-06 and the results have always been excellent - they are on par with Nosler Accubonds in terms of construction and performance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast