Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Presision buck shot

I have seen federal have a precision buck shot round where the bukshot stays in the wad untill it hits the target.
    Any of these available localy?

User

Default Re: Presision buck shot

You can achieve the same result by pouring some moulten candle wax into the shot of a normal buck shot round and then closing the case again. Obviously having access to a shot shell loader is the key. The wax makes the shot stick together at closer ranges and the whole lump acts a bit like a Glaser slug. I have never tried this myself so lets hear from others on the forum whether this is safe or not.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

What about using some silicone to make the balls stick together in the wad. Not that keen on having hot wax and flames near my reloading.

Get someone to order you some Federal Premium Buckshot with the Flite Control wads (they do not yet sell the wads as components AFIK)...it is nothing short of amazing. I have shot 8-10in patterns at 25yd with the #00 from an 18in Cylinder bore 870...they really work if you want or need such tight patterns from Buck.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Did the wax thing back in the early 80's.
    Opened the crimp and removed the shot. Shot (Shot size No4 IIRC) was left in the sun to heat up. Put back one layer of shot, covering the base of the wad and dropped some molten wax (dripping candle) onto the shot, folowed by next layer of shot etc, untill all shot was used. Closed the crimp and shot into a 25l sunflower oil drum filled full of water @ 25m. Shotgun used was Franchi Semi Auto.
    12ga sized hole on the entry side, back of drum was missing! Very spectacular, but in hindsite I would not do it again, molten wax could contaminate the propellant, which kinda defeats the objective of the exercise.
    We started by Trying to drip the wax onto shot still inside wad but wax solidified too quicly and would not reach the shot deeper in the wad with mixed results, hence the trick of heating the shot in the sun.
    Wont even mention what I've seen some west coast farmers do with shotshells when they needed a "long shot" when hunting small antelope with shotguns in the "Sandveld"

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

THEY CUT THE HULL?

User

Pretty dangerous exercise which could lead to rapid decrease in health of shooter and shotgun.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

why do they do things like that!

User

I think it was a quick solution to shoot something that was out of normal shotgun range.
    I dont know if its a common occurrence, probably something he saw his Pa do, and if it was good enuff for pa, 's good enuff for him! Bet they aren't thinking of the pressures generated when the entire front section on the case of forced past the chamber down the barrel..
    But its far worse than some shotgunners who have old shotguns with 21/2" (65mm) chambers firng the newer 2 3/4" (70mm) shotgun cartridges through them, simply because they fit in the chambers. My uncle did that, untill he fired a shot and was left holding the stock, the barrels lying on the ground, partly disassembeled.
    Old guns are beautiful, but can be scarey in ignorant hands.

User

cutting the hull does not work, it should go on mythbusters cos its always someone knows someone who's done it ;-) I tried it on 2 different pump guns, leaves the cut "sleeve" in the chamber and the wad flies out as normal. Then try dig out the plastic "sleeve"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast