Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Recommend a rifle cleaning rod

I see there's various price ranges and brands. What would you recommend? The Boretech V Stix seemed like a decent mid priced option.

User

Default Re: Recommend a rifle cleaning rod

Ram's rods, jags and brushes work well enough for me that I don't see a reason to buy anything more expensive. When you buy a rod, just make sure the handle's bearing rotates freely.

Also, get a bore-guide, it's work the money, and again, you don't need to buy the most expensive one. The Tipton aluminium-and-plastic one works very well for me.

:- P

User

Thanks for the reply. The store only had the multi piece Ram ones. Also only saw the Boretech guides which are pricey, will go again on Monday. Also saw some Carbon Fibre rods, pretty cool, I wonder if there any benefits to those.

User

Bugrit no, don't buy a multi-piece rod.... one-piece Ram rods should be widely available. I have to say, I don't like my .22 rod as much as my .30 rod, as the former is much less stiff (bending stiffness being a 4th power function of diameter 'n-all...) But I've since stopped aggressively cleaning my .22 and these days just push a nylon brush through after shooting to get the worst crud out.

Carbon fibre looks cool and allows them to charge you lots of money. They will be stiffer than a steel rod though (assuming it really is CF and not glass in a black resin!) so there may be "some" added value in a small calibre rod.

User

Bore-Tech is the dog's bollocks, but a pit pricey.

As a backup I have a Hoppe's rod that is quite a lot shorter, but also uses the same type of jags (the pointy ones where you use the small patches and they're pushed out the front of the barrel).

The Hoppe's if my Alzheimers serves me correctly, was less than R200 at Wildman in Cape Gate.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Bugrit no, don't buy a multi-piece rod.... one-piece Ram rods should be widely available. I have to say, I don't like my .22 rod as much as my .30 rod, as the former is much less stiff (bending stiffness being a 4th power function of diameter 'n-all...) But I've since stopped aggressively cleaning my .22 and these days just push a nylon brush through after shooting to get the worst crud out.

Carbon fibre looks cool and allows them to charge you lots of money. They will be stiffer than a steel rod though (assuming it really is CF and not glass in a black resin!) so there may be "some" added value in a small calibre rod.

Yip I was told to stay away from multi piece rods. The CF rod is also made by Tipton. It was around R500 if I recall correctly.

What's the issue with multi-piece rods ?

I've used the Pro-Shot stuff and like it.

http://www.hailstormza.com/Pro-Shot-...fg_44-0-1.html

User

Dewey, BoreTech, Pro Shot are all excellent.

Have a look at all three.

I have all three in varius sizes and prefer PRoShot.

All three mentioned are way better than the local rods.

What I like about ProShot over Dewey is that the the rods do not flex and they are not plastic coated. The plastic is not needed and get damaged.

User

I completely forgot about Proshot. Got my handgun one from Hailstorm and happy with it. Will come have a look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast