Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry or wet lube

User

Default Dry or wet lube

I was cleaning my mountain bike today and I use dry lube on my chain as it does not collect as much dust and turn into grinding paste. I was wondering if I can use this on my G19? I am not really a fan of a wet oily gun. The dry lube, when dry turns to a almost waxy silicon. I know in car engines oil is responsible for a lot of the heat dissipation, so I am not sure how big a factor this is in my fa, and how well the dry lube will work if this is an issue. I am also not sure what the "cleaning" properties are. I am currently using balistol oil, but like I said, I would much rather use this dry lube if it will work. Any thoughts?

User

Default Re: Dry or wet lube

Sounds perfect for a bicycle.

If you want a dry lube for your FA, get Eezox or Slip2000.

User

There's also white lightning made for guns (like the one for bikes - it is a dryish waxy silicon type lubricant) I have only used the one for my MTB and after a muddy ride a quick rinse gets the gunk off the chain and the white lightning is still there so I just add a lil extra afterwards.

User

When I saw the thread title I was certain this was posted on the wrong forum and not a cycling forum! Personally I'd stick to proper lube meant for guns.I highly doubt white lightning and others were designed with heat in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    I was cleaning my mountain bike today and I use dry lube on my chain as it does not collect as much dust and turn into grinding paste. I was wondering if I can use this on my G19? I am not really a fan of a wet oily gun. The dry lube, when dry turns to a almost waxy silicon. I know in car engines oil is responsible for a lot of the heat dissipation, so I am not sure how big a factor this is in my fa, and how well the dry lube will work if this is an issue. I am also not sure what the "cleaning" properties are. I am currently using balistol oil, but like I said, I would much rather use this dry lube if it will work. Any thoughts?
    You named yours G19?????

O ok....K Y Jelly then...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    When I saw the thread title I was certain this was posted on the wrong forum and not a cycling forum! Personally I'd stick to proper lube meant for guns. I highly doubt white lightning and others were designed with heat in mind.
    My thoughts exactly. Bicycle chains don't exactly experience a lot of heat-producing friction.

But then I'm paranoid - I oil my MTBs chain with fully-synthetic automotive oil.

Listening to the guys at The Hub and researching the interwebs the jury is out as to whether that expensive bicycle stuff really works (or justify their prices). I come from a motorcycling background and I can assure you that many MTB owners are extremely gullible/mechanically inexperienced and overpay for a lot of snake oil.

Suspension services aside, who lets someone else service their bicycle? Have these guys got no shame?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Bicycle chains don't exactly experience a lot of heat-producing friction.

But then I'm paranoid - I oil my MTBs chain with fully-synthetic automotive oil.

Listening to the guys at The Hub and researching the interwebs the jury is out as to whether that expensive bicycle stuff really works (or justify their prices). I come from a motorcycling background and I can assure you that many MTB owners are extremely gullible/mechanically inexperienced and overpay for a lot of snake oil.

Suspension services aside, who lets someone else service their bicycle? Have these guys got no shame?
    If you fork out a R120 000 for a full carbonfibre weight weenie bicycle than you will also have it seriviced by a pro bicycle machanic.

User

I really like grease as a lube. Especially for carry guns. I use Slip EWG

User

My mountain bike was more expensive to service than my 4x4 bakkie.

Erick asks a good question, the gun lube feels and smells the same as the waxy bike lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    I take my MTB in for a service about once a year. I don't have the detailed knowledge that my LBS have. I clean it, lube it and refill the sealant, but I prefer someone more experienced to look it over occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast