Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Range Ammo

User

Default Range Ammo

Im getting into the whole IPSC shooting, but would like to know what ammo can I use for the Range days.
    I dont have my own reloader yet and im looking for decent ammo for a 9mm in the PTA area.

Default Re: Range Ammo

Hi Christo.

The cheapest 9mm that I could find so far was from New Generation Ammunition in Centurion directly.

They call it "reloaded" ammo, and it goes for R63/50. I have heard a couple of guys mention that they have had issues with the ammo, but I have shot about 500 rounds now without any problems fighting0035. They use Frontier plated 124gr heads in these. I know some of the guys use Magtech ammo, but I have no idea on price for these, or where to find them.

No, I don't work for them and am not affiliated with them in any way.

Regards.

Hi

Buy a LEE Pro 1000 and you will pay it off in the first 2,000 reloads!
    :laugh:

The only ammo you can trust - is the one you have loaded youself!
    cfd89

Double_Tap

Christo,

The investment in your own reloading equipment pays off in a very short time and it is not complicated to reload. A few easy steps and a bit of savvy and it is as easy as can be.

I can back the New Gen Ammo. Tthe range I shoot at uses it, and for the last 1000 or so I have had no problems...

Take the price of that 1000 NGA's, times that with a conservative 40% and you get the picture what you could have saved by reloading. Take that saving and project it over your estimate shooting over a year and think about it. Yes, it is time consuming but I rather make that time and be able to shoot than not make the time and reduce my shooting dramatically. At R63/50 it equals to R1.26 per shot. I reload at about 50% of that cost.

NGA's quality control leaves something to be desired. They also do not stand by their products. If their ammo blows up your gun its always the guns fault.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I also posted this issue somewhere else and from own experience, what NGA claims regarding velocities on their boxes....way out....

User

I have personally found squib rounds (round with no powder) from both NGA and Nobletech.

The question is who is doing the loading of the ammo you are using ????????

The problem is that if you are not experienced or not concentrating and you fire a squib round (the bullet is driven by the primer explosion into the barrel and it will lodge in the barrel) and fire the next round you will cause major damage to your pistol (except maybe if it's a Glock17). Think about the hassle of applying for a new barrel license.

Schalk has said that he has fired 500 rounds without problems and one person may fire 10's of thousands of rounds without a problem but you need only one on an off day, not concentrating and .....

I recently stopped a friend from firing a second round after a squib in his 1911 - He was not experienced and would have fired the second round if he was alone - the squib came out of the first box of 50 he opened and fired through his pistol.

I am not prepared to take the risk! and would rather pay more ( a little insurance) and use Magtech or PMP rounds if I were not inclined to reload my own ammo.

I surely do not want to shoot a match with the little squib devil playing around in the back of my mind.

Both Magtech and PMP are big manufacturers with state of the art computerised and mechanised ammo manufacturing equipment.

Reload your own ammo and concentrate while you are doing that.

Spoken like a pro happy0065

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast