Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Revolver vs Semi-Auto Pistol

Lets compare these two. Lets forget about the obvious differences like capacity and ease of reloading fresh ammo. If we look at these two different handguns, which is actually the 'best' in terms of use and being the most foolproof? There are pro's and cons in both (excluding the capacity and the reload issue as mentioned). What are they and based on this, what is actually the best choice?

Default Re: Revolver vs Semi-Auto Pistol

To begin with, fools shouldn't use either ;D

Revolvers don't suffer from limp wristing issues and have a fresh round under the hammer with every trigger squeeze.
    Revolvers are inherently more accurate than semi-auto's because the sights are mounted on non-moving parts of the gun.
    Many revolvers have light strike issues when fired double action and owners of such guns usually resort to single action shooting only - not really conducive to an SD encounter.
    Revolvers are generally bulkier than semi-auto's and can be more difficult to carry concealed - obviously doesn't apply in a comparison between a 5 shot 38spl snubbie and a 50AE Desert Eagle.
    Both may have grips (stocks for our US friends) that are too large for the average hand but I find that many revolvers have grips that are too small for my hands and grip fillers must be installed to fill the gap behind the trigger guard to aid in a better grip.
    FWIW, I do own revolvers but only use them on the range and I find that some decent time with a revolver and double action only shooting actually improves my trigger control with my semi's.

and which one is more prone to malfunctions?

Keep them both clean, well maintained and use quality ammo and I'd say they're equaly reliable.

I've seen grossly overloaded ammo used in a 357Mag that jammed the gun solid after 3 shots - all screws came loose, the ejector rod loosened and some of the bits inside worked their way out of their sockets because of a loose cover plate. I've also seen bullets being pulled out of their cases due to poor crimping and preventing the cylinder from turning and I've also seen enough crud build-up on the forcing cone and front edge of the cylinder that caused a fair amount of drag on the cylinder, making the trigger pull much harder than normal. I've also had a revolver whose timing and lock-up was so badly worn that I had many mis-fires with a firing pin strike on the case head well away from the primer.

People who say revolvers are more reliable and have fewer malfunctions than semi-auto's just haven't been around them or used them very much.

I agree and I disagree. My view is that a well maintained revolver vs a well maintained pistol and using good ammo that is not going over the top, the revolver will have a edge over the pistol. Yes, some of the malfunctions on a revolver can be much more severe than a pistol but it has in my view less issues to worry about. If there is a dud or light strike, just pull the trigger to go to the next round. If the fired case cracked or bulged when fired, just pull the trigger to go to the next round (no immediate jam due to extracting issues). No issue from limp wristing. No concern about slide interference that could cause a jam. You can fire it from a jacket pocket (would however cut the hammer off and make it a DAO).

Do not have one, but would like to have one. My choice however remains that of a pistol,,,,,

User

I dont think you can take factors such as capacity and reload speed out of the equation as to my mind they are definatley important. Also for most normal humans ie not Michulek a pistol is far easier to shoot quickly and accuaretly with its lower bore axis and generally shorter reset.

I've always loved revolvers, don't know why but I just do. I think that they are beautiful studies of machining & engineering.

I recently got my grubby mits on a pristine S&W M28 Highway Patrolman and after shooting it at the range a couple of times I've learnt a few things:

1. I shoot pistols better than I shoot revolvers, best Classifier pistol = Expert, best Classifier revolver = Novice! This doesn't mean that I don't like shooting the revolver just will need to practice more ;D
    2. I've been shooting off a lot of ammo I got with the gun from the previous owner and if it's not been loaded properly then you can have as many problems as with a pistol!

One of the pro's of a revolver, grips wise is that you can change them fairly easily to fit your hand. Pistols are quite limited in this regard by the magazine they must accommodate but things seem to be changing now days IE: S&W M&P / H&K P30

Would I carry my revolver for SD? Yes once I've gotten more practice in, sorted out the grips to suit my hands (dinner plates ;D) and worked on the sights (once you've had a Hi-Viz you can never go back ;))

6 rounds of 125gr .357 Magnum will certainly make a BG's eyes water and another 12 on the belt in speedloaders can be very comforting happy0065 fighting0035

Carried a revolver for many, many years as a cop and trained tons of others with them as well. I love a nice, older S&W or Colt wheelgun but they come from a different place and time. We will never see that place and time again nor will we ever see the equal of such craftsmanship. (Current S&W revolvers do work well but compared to the older guns are mass produced and over priced by far) And yes, I am a certified S&W Armorer on the older models.

I have taken revolvers (often as many as 3) into serious situations and depended on them many a time but the only real difference I ever found in reliability was that, with a properly functioning and maintained revolver, you can pretty much guarantee the first 5 or 6 will fire...after that I don't think they are any more...or less...reliable than a top notch autopistol with good ammo that has been tested and is in the hands of an experienced shooter.

Jimmy Cirillo once told me (I used to go up to the Academy at FLETC and shoot with the club there when he was training US Customs guys) that if a fight was settled with the first 6 rounds or less, the guy who could keep his cool and shot straightest would probably win, but after that, firepower began to count more and more. (which is why we often uised 3 revolvers and a shotgun) I agree generally with that statement, at least as it applies to LE stakeouts for dangerous felons.

Today? Give me a good auto for serious use, but I do love shooting the wheelguns at the range, especially my 1960's era S&W Model 17 'K22'...but that one will go to my grandson.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

i do prefer a loaded revolver in the safe as opposed to a loaded pistol as i fear that the mag spring shall weaken over the weeks and months that it stays loaded and a revolver has no stress on any parts fully loade din the safe, i bought a Ruger SP101 in a 2 inch barrel and stainless with the standard grips, i did but through Guns & bows (SA Ruger agents) the drop in part DAO hammer which i replaced for the spurred hammer, this is to be my loaded in the safe always 357MAG man stopper that ill sleep with and use every night, the heavy but smooth DAO trigger is a sure fire way of ensuring that you do intend to pull that trigger and shoot that bad guy.

To carry daily i do like a pistol though as i do prefer more rounds in gun, but i am thinking of carrying a pistol as primary and revolver as a back up, for this purpose i have bought a few J-Frame S&W revolvers and am still looking ofr more, especially centennials, so if anyone has, please drop me a line :) pretty please, i bought a S&W 342Ti Centennial (enclosed hammer) which has a titanium cylinder and a S&W Bodyguard woth shrouded hammer ofr back up carry as well as a taurus Ultralite in 38 with a DAO hammer as well, so im good in the back up dept, remember the NEW YORK reload is the fastest and its always good to have a back up if your primary runs dry or is disabled :)

for those who may not know the new york reload, is when in stead of reloading your primary u just start blasting with your secondary ... i love pistols but can see why revolvers are still around, i used to hate a revolver but with age have grown to love them equally :)

Whatever floats your boat.

If you've got it on you and no-one is aware of it.
    It is in a good working condition and as close as possible to totally reliable.
    The calibre is 9mmP/38spl or larger.
    The capacity will serve you well in your situation.

Who cares, but your mates you're trying to impress.

Personally ............

By a Glock 27 for selfdefence and stop wondering I say.

Not good enough you say with a counter argument .........

Carry two Glock 27's with all the spare mags you have.

I think the firearms should have a forum and discuss how they can find a competant owner to use them to their capacity.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast