User

Default Is there a good way

To get an ipad from the USA to South Africa without getting clobbered by duties etc?

User

Default Re: Is there a good way

Brand new from the istore.

Go there on holiday, buy it and bring it back in as your personal device.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Go there on holiday, buy it and bring it back in as your personal device.
    I'd love to but you know...

User

Unfortunately not. Private couriers are extremely wary of SARS.

Your best bet is a friend coming back from the US.

User

I just bought an iPad and Macbook from the US Apple store, had it delivered with their free delivery to Aramax Globalshopper in New York, who did the shipping to SA, customs clearance, VAT and delivered to my door in Melkbosstrand.
    It takes a while longer and I ordered when lockdown was still a clusterfuck, but on average 3 days from Apple to them, then they take a few days (5 in my case) to record, re-label and forward, then about another 5 days to be delivered (the couriers are struggling with flights as well).

Aramax Globalshopper effectively provides you with a forwarding address in a number of cities around the world.

Shipping for each package (unfortunately they were available on different dates) was around R500.00 per package (they have a shipping calculator on their site, remember the packing material contributes to the weight - iPad and Apple Pencil was 2.5 pounds in weight if I recall.
    Did not pay any duties, only VAT.

Price wise it does not make all that much sense, you are not really going to save much if at all if it is available locally, so check the local pricing too.
    I only did this because the Mac I wanted is not available here yet, and I had USD from some time back when the exchange rate was much kinder, which made it a good buy in the end.

Just check Aramex Globalshopper's list of goods they will not ship - knives as an example.

There is a small fee to register for Aramex Globalshopper, then you pay for the services you use.
    Their response to queries I also found excellent and helpful.

Just one thing you might consider. Does Apple (inside SA) honour warranties of overseas purchases? I have purchased a lot of camera equipment outside SA, and the only issue you have is with any warranty claims. If you're prepared to cover that and carry the risk, then it may be cheaper. Apple may well step up in the event of any claim - I don't know.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Just one thing you might consider. Does Apple (inside SA) honour warranties of overseas purchases? I have purchased a lot of camera equipment outside SA, and the only issue you have is with any warranty claims. If you're prepared to cover that and carry the risk, then it may be cheaper. Apple may well step up in the event of any claim - I don't know.
    A good point.

As far as I know only iPhone warranties are not international, and only valid in country of purchase - but better to check for each specific product.