Default Re: Gunshot wounds

Some videos about wound care.

I hope the link works.

And some more reading,

http://www.woundsinternational.com/p...rauma-wounds-1

User

Pics are an excellent idea.
    It will give many Gunsite members a new respect for their firearms.

If you can get your hands on a gunshot wounds book from a university etc do so.

User

Thanx for the writeup Mr Medic, brings back alot of what they taught us in First aid training, almost like a refresher course,lol. If you are a lvl 2 first aider, would it be possible to go on a ride along with an ambulance and how would one go about organising something like that?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
    Thanx for the writeup Mr Medic, brings back alot of what they taught us in First aid training, almost like a refresher course,lol. If you are a lvl 2 first aider, would it be possible to go on a ride along with an ambulance and how would one go about organising something like that?
    Very possible depending on where you are and who you ask. I have many many times in the past taken everyone from reporters to schools kids in the rv with me. I would suggest contacting your local service provider and asking what their requirements for a "3rd up" would be explain to them what you are looking for. BUT do not get despondent if the first person you ask says no, there is alot of professional jealousy in ems. Keep trying until you come right.

User

Hi mr-medic.
    Question.....
    Would you endorse or even recommend placing a tampon inside a gunshot wound? I have heard people say it can be done.

My limited knowledge would suggest that you could cause more damage... Pressing foreign objects further into the wound canal and more pain probably worsening the extent of the injury and shock?
    What about the diameter of a tampon pressed into a wound with a smaller diameter? Surely you could cause harm to the patient in this way too?

Regards

User

Professionally I would not recommend it, tampons come in an array of sizes shapes etc, the last thing you want is to insert an object that expands into a hole that shouldn't. Do a small excersize at home, pop a tampon (regular lillet) into a half fill mug and watch what happens over 5 minutes.

You see the chances of it killing the person are low, but it can cause the tissue around the wound to tear/become ischeamic and as far as patient best practice goes that is something you want to avoid.

I have read that tampons can actually slow down the bodies natural clotting ability due to their absorption properties however I have not been able to locate any studies on this.

In my opinion the best way to dress a gsw whether it is an entrance or exit wound would be ideally a combat dressing such as petroleum guaze or quickclot gauze followed by a firm compression dressing. These fancy israeli type dressings are good but a regular SOS dressing/FAD will work. Remember that if it starts to bleed through the initial dressing not to remove it, place another conforming dressing over it and if it is a limb with no obvious fractures you can elevate it and apply pressure to nearest proximal artery to allow the bodies clotting factors to build up at wound site if you are in a situation that does not allow for this do not hesitate to apply a touriquet. Note time of application and evac patient asap.

Fantastic thread and i would be keen on more first hand experience and comments. Thanks again Mr medic. Quick question, if an extremity (arm leg etc) is bleeding through a fad would cat tourniquets be a good thing to apply and what would the long term repercussions be.

Thanks again

Dylan

Fantastic thread and i would be keen on more first hand experience and comments. Thanks again Mr medic. Quick question, if an extremity (arm leg etc) is bleeding through a fad would cat tourniquets be a good thing to apply and what would the long term repercussions be.

Thanks again

Dylan

User

Nice read even for a fellow medic thanks man. Nicely written.

User

Quote Originally Posted by eagle eyrie View Post

Thanks again

Dylan
    I would first apply another dressing (even slightly firmer than the first) onto the initial dressing covering the wound however if it bleeds through this yet again I will advise putting on a touriquet if the situation does not allow for indirect pressure.

Remember if you start putting dressing after dressing ontop of each other you will not stop the bleeding but rather hide it and you don't want that. Shock is a killer.

As I said previously do not hesitate to apply a touriquet if the situation warrants it, especially if massive bleeding is present (example partial amputation or major crush injury) new research has shown that a Tourniquet can be left in place for about 3 hours before it causes issues (compartment syndrome etc) if yout first tourniquet does not stop the bleeding add a second one. But remember it needs to go on tight the idea is to occlude the vessels to slow bleeding.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast