Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Isoceles or Weaver?

So which do you prefer and why? If you use a combination or modification of either stance, tell us about it. I shoot isoceles or a modification thereof in most instances because it provides for a stable shooting platform and better mobility. What say you?
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Isoceles or Weaver?

I am not dogmatic about stances but these days I mostly shoot isosceles. I shot Weaver for 20 years however, so I will go to it in some situations such as searches or close contacts where I know it is the stronger of the two against a gun grab, and in a hurry will invariably go to Harries first when using a torch. If I am using, say, a car as cover / concealment I figure I will use the 'hunkered down behind the car' stance, etc. ;D Important thing is for the stance to be stable, versatile enough for general use and still allow mobility. I also practice a fair amount of one hand shooting.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I shoot from a modified isoceles stance I find it gives better recoil management than a weaver as you are using technique as opposed to muscle to control the pistol. Various studies by numerous agencies seem to show most shooters even those trained in weaver revert to isoceles under pressure. I agree with ikor that you cant afford to be too dogmatic about stance as your enviroment may require a position different to that which you prefer. I strongly beleive that a proper grip is more important than a perfect stance.

User

What do you want to use it for?

If you intend to move while you are shooting or shoot around a barricade etc try both stances - most probably you will find it,s not going to work if you use the strict version of the stance.

Use whatever stance gives you mobility and allows you to move from static without changing too much of your stance - modify both ot either and adapt it to be practical for tactical and practical shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    What do you want to use it for?
    +1 on this. I think pistoleros need to be reasonably well versed in all stances.

For instance, when shooting on the move from left to right I shoot weaver (or a reasonable facsimilie thereof).
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I have nothing against the isosceles and do use it when occasion calls but prefer the weaver. I find that using the weaver leaves me with one stance for my hand and long gun, barricade shooting is accomplished with less exposure and, this is the main reason, I find weapon retention works better for me with the weaver

i like the weaver stance and it does suit me well, i also just find it more comfortable and natural...

As some of you guys would have seen this weekend, stance is not a major thing for me, in all honesty I can not even remember which is which, don't care much about analising it to much, as long as you square your face then I am happy, don't want to lose periphial vision, some of you saw me doing the one legged shooting thing, grip is far more important to me than anything else!

I prefer weaver because I find it more comfortable and natural for me. Of course somebody might feel the same about isoceles. I believe as long as you are comfortable in whatever stance you take, you should be OK.

User

Isoceles (keeping body armour pointed towards the threat and/or direction of travel - and you can't move forward and backward from Weaver properly criss-crossing your feet), and Weaver or modified Isoceles around corners.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast