Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do realise that your post is tongue in cheek but I've spent countless hours around campfires and bar counters in hunting camps listening to hunters extolling this kind of imaginary magical virtues they believe their favorite cartridge to have. I have spent even more hours tracking game wounded with those very same magical cartridges. Not because of any fault of the cartridge but because the owner believed that the cartridge would make up for his lack of skill.
    And we back to the only real factor - "shot placement"

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do realise that your post is tongue in cheek but I've spent countless hours around campfires and bar counters in hunting camps listening to hunters extolling this kind of imaginary magical virtues they believe their favorite cartridge to have. I have spent even more hours tracking game wounded with those very same magical cartridges. Not because of any fault of the cartridge but because the owner believed that the cartridge would make up for his lack of skill.
    The types who spend that kind of effort to extoll the virtues of any one specific caliber usually only own one rifle and it happens to be in that particular caliber. IF they owned a few more they would have more reference points and would also then know that none of them are magic wands. Just learn to place the bullet where it matters and almost any caliber will get the job done. But that is usually beyond these type's grasp.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The types who spend that kind of effort to extoll the virtues of any one specific caliber usually only own one rifle and it happens to be in that particular caliber. IF they owned a few more they would have more reference points and would also then know that none of them are magic wands. Just learn to place the bullet where it matters and almost any caliber will get the job done. But that is usually beyond these type's grasp.
    Ya - I only like the .204,223, 270,9mm,303, 357, 308, 458, and 12 G + 410 and 380 and .22

User

I think it fair to point out that experienced hunters also kwes. And everybody has their favourite, even experienced, multi caliber equipped, practised hunters.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post

However, I would think .308 is "even easier" to load for; it has the option of lee collet dies which the 7x64 does not.
    For anyone that may be interested, a year or 2 back I noticed that Lee makes a collet die for the 280 Rem (which they refer to as the 280 Super). Given that the 280 Rem & 7x64 are so similar in dimensions, I asked Lee if it would work on a 7x64 and they said it will.

I doubt that the 280 Super collet dies are normally available in SA and I haven't got around to ordering one yet, but I'll be happy if it works!

User

My apologies for the hijack, OP, but I too am a fanboy of the collet concept. I looked at the .280 die, but a .5mm here and a .5mm there all adds up to a die that was simply not made for the 7x64's chamber. (I believe the shoulder angle is noticeably different, but stand to be corrected.)

Banned

My apologies for the hijack, OP, but I too am a fanboy of the collet concept. I looked at the .280 die, but a .5mm here and a .5mm there all adds up to a die that was simply not made for the 7x64's chamber. (I believe the shoulder angle is noticeably different, but stand to be corrected.)

How would this affect the collet die ? (I believe the shoulder angle is noticeably different, but stand to be corrected.)

User

The Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die does not touch the case shoulder, or at least is not supposed to. In fact, it usually has ample clearance there, so much that often it will size the AI version of a particular cartridge without alterations.

If the die does in fact touch the case shoulder (easy to test), it would be easy to use a washer over the shell holder with just enough thickness to lift the die off the shoulder. But If Lee says it will work, then I have no reasons to not believe them. So, the 7x64 has slightly more generous dimensions, but the LeeCollet die has ample clearance as well.

Of these 2 very similar cartridges, I actually prefer the 280 Rem over the Brennecke. The reason is simply because the 280 has a barrel groove diameter specced at .284" whereas the Brennecke is specced at .285". This makes the commonly available American-made .284" bullets a better fit in the 280. Some call it OCD, but that's the way I approach reloading and I'm going to stick to it.

Banned

Question Re: To Mauser or not to Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Of these 2 very similar cartridges, I actually prefer the 280 Rem over the Brennecke. The reason is simply because the 280 has a barrel groove diameter specced at .284" whereas the Brennecke is specced at .285". This makes the commonly available American-made .284" bullets a better fit in the 280. Some call it OCD, but that's the way I approach reloading and I'm going to stick to it.
    Do barrel makers actually make a .285 barrel ?
    Are .285 bullets available ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Do barrel makers actually make a .285 barrel ?
    Are .285 bullets available ?
    Yes. European 7mm calibers are .285". Check the CIP specifications.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast